BNP Paribas is hiring a Senior Credit Officer (SCO) to cover the Commercial Real Estate (CRE) sector. The SCO will be part of the RISK Corporate team, an independent function responsible for the second level of control of the corporate and securitization risks originated by CIB, including credit committee decisions, internal ratings, and portfolio monitoring. RISK Corporate in NY acts as a regional decentralized entity of the Risk function, which includes an extensive level of credit delegation in the region. The new hire will also be heavily involved in designing a risk framework for CRE, a new activity for CIB in the U.S.
The CRE activities originated by CIB in the U.S. will consist of transactions intended to be sold to a CMBS (conduit and SASB), on-balance sheet lending, CRE CLO warehouses, risk retention and fund financing. The new hire will have responsibility for the sector across products. The scope involves loans across CRE sectors, including office, multifamily, retail, industrial, and hotel.
The expected starting salary range for this position in New York is between $240,000 to $350,000 annually. Actual salary may vary based upon several factors including, but not limited to, relevant skills/experience, time in role, base salary of internal peers, prior performance, business line, and geographic/office location.
Ability to work from home?
*Physical presence in BNPP’s office(s) is an essential function of this position. BNPP requires all of our employees to be vaccinated in order to access its offices, subject to reasonable accommodations for reasons related to disability or religion.
Candidate Success Factors:
Candidates to be measured on the following four performance drivers, which will dictate how individual impact is considered on the Americas platform:
- Results and Impact
- Impacts division and influences peers and team
- Demonstrates good judgement when making decisions of high complexity and impact
- Relies on limited guidance for most complex decision making
- Is responsible for driving outcomes which have meaningful effect on team or department
- Leadership and Collaboration
- Creates trust with department leaders
- Acts in leadership capacity for large projects, processes, or programs for a team
- Client, Customer and Stakeholder Focus
- Able to build relationships with a mix of intermediate and senior colleagues or clients
- Interacts regularly with management and department leaders
- Demonstrates the ability to persuade and influence stakeholders at the team level
- Compliance Culture and Conduct
- Takes full responsibility for personal actions and demonstrates courage in facing problems and conflicts
- Perceived as a person of high moral character; upholds corporate values and displays high ethical standards”
The Senior Credit officer in RISK Corporate NY with a focus on the Commercial Real Estate sector will be responsible for the following:
- Developing a risk framework for CRE in the region, including underwriting standards, risk dashboards, transaction approval process, and credit proposal templates.
- Exercise credit delegation to decision transactions across all of the CRE product lines, including conduit/SASB, on-balance sheet lending, CRE CLO warehousing, risk retention and fund financing.
- Review credit proposals, evaluate the risks, and document committee decisions.
- Ensure the quality of risks taken in the CRE sector are consistent with the bank’s risk appetite, policies and procedures.
- Participate in due diligence visits with the underwriting team in CIB.
- Actively engage with business heads on strategy and direction, including participate in weekly pipeline team meetings with the CRE and CMBS teams.
- As the subject matter expert for CRE, participate in internal audit assignments and regulatory missions when the product is in scope.
- Follow industry trends and portfolio credit monitoring closely and report material new developments to management.
- Contribute to the validation process for new products or activities planned by CIB in the CRE sector.
- Beyond pure credit risk and ESG risk, SCOs are also asked to contribute to data quality and to the monitoring of operational risks.
Minimum Required Qualifications
- 15 years of experience in capacities that involve credit analysis in the Commercial Real Estate Sector (senior credit risk officer or CRE loan underwriter), including buy and hold banking positions and originate to distribute positions.
- Strong analytical skills and balanced judgment
- Ability to identify core issues, conclude, and make decisions objectively
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and writing.
- Experience setting up a control framework around a new activity.
FINRA Registrations Required:
CFTC Swap Dealer Associated Person (if yes, NFA Swaps Proficiency Program is required):
SEC Security-Based Swap Dealer Associated Person:
About BNP Paribas:
In the United States, BNP Paribas has built a strong and diversified presence to support its client base. We continue to grow and strengthen our commitment to the US market through our Corporate & Institutional Banking activities. We are one of a few non-US banks to offer a full value chain for our clients, from trading to financing, and clearing and custody in the US with the international footprint and capacity to deliver both globally and locally. Leveraging the strength of our European roots, our network can support clients in virtually every region of the world, enabling more connectivity and efficiency wherever our clients conduct business.
BNP Paribas’ Corporate & Institutional Banking services corporate clients and institutional investors offering tailored solutions in financing, cash management, and advisory services to companies via Corporate Banking, in capital markets via Global Markets, and in securities custody and administration via Securities Services. As the asset management arm of BNP Paribas, BNP Paribas Asset Management offers high value-added solutions to individual savers, companies, and institutional investors.
The bank employs nearly 14,000 people and has a presence in the country since the late 1800s in major cities including New York, Jersey City, Chesterbrook, PA, San Francisco, Boston, Chicago, Denver and Washington, DC.
BNP Paribas is a leading bank in Europe with an international reach across the US, EMEA and APAC. It has a presence in 65 countries, with nearly 190,000 employees. The Bank offers a comprehensive range of banking, investment and financial services solutions through three main fields of activity: Retail Banking for the Bank’s retail-banking networks and several specialized businesses including BNP Paribas Personal Finance and Arval; Investment & Protection Services for savings, investment and protection solutions; and Corporate & Institutional Banking, focused on corporate and institutional clients. Based on its strong diversified and integrated model, BNP Paribas helps all its clients (individuals, community associations, entrepreneurs, SMEs, corporates and institutional clients) to realize their projects through solutions spanning financing, investment, savings and protection insurance.
We take pride in our expertise and our ability to adapt while constantly looking ahead to create a more sustainable world.
BNP Paribas. The Bank for a Changing World - https://usa.bnpparibas/en/homepage/join-us/our-opportunities/
BNP Paribas is committed to providing a work environment that fosters diversity, inclusion, and equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, age, creed, sex, religion, national origin, disability (physical or mental), marital status, citizenship, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, or any other legally protected status.