In Asia Pacific, BNP Paribas is one of the best-positioned international financial institutions with an uninterrupted presence since 1860. Currently with over 18,000 employees* and a presence in 13 markets, BNP Paribas provides corporates, institutional and private investors with product and service solutions tailored to their specific needs. It offers a wide range of financial services covering corporate & institutional banking, wealth management, asset management, insurance, as well as retail banking and consumer financing through strategic partnerships. .
Worldwide, BNP Paribas has a presence in 68 markets with more than 193,000 employees. It has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. Asia Pacific is a key strategic region for BNP Paribas and it continues to develop its franchise in the region.
* excluding partnerships
At BNP Paribas, we passionately embrace diversity and are committed to fostering an inclusive workplace where all employees are valued, respected and can bring their authentic selves to work. We prohibit Discrimination and Harassment of any kind and our policies promote equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants, irrespective of, but not limited to their gender, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, ethnicity, race, colour, national origin, age, religion, social status, mental or physical disabilities, veteran status etc. As a global Bank, we truly believe that inclusion and diversity of our teams is key to our success in serving our clients and the communities we operate in.
The APAC Corporate Banking Legal Team supports all of BNP Paribas’ Corporate Banking business lines across APAC. The team’s work ranges from structured / secured and syndicated lending (including Energy, Natural Resources & Project Finance, Transportation Finance, Loan Capital Markets, Commodity Finance, Media & Telecom Finance, Real Estate Finance, Supply Chain Finance and Trade Finance) through to Coverage and Transaction Banking (including corporate bilateral lending, cash management and trade services products). The team also handles debt recovery, insolvency and restructuring work for BNP Paribas’ Value Preservation Group.
While each lawyer in the Corporate Banking Legal Team is a general banking lawyer in that they are able to deal with queries and transactions from any of the Corporate Banking business lines, he/she also maintains a core area of specialisation in a specific industry. This ensures that there is a depth of knowledge, experience and expertise in each of those areas across the team.
The lawyers in the Corporate Banking Legal Team are based in Hong Kong and Singapore but work closely with generalist lawyers based in the other offices of BNP Paribas in the APAC region.
This role will primarily support both the Aviation and ENR & Project Finance business lines in APAC.
The ENR & Project Finance Business encompasses energy (including renewable energy), natural resources (oil & gas and metals & mining) and project finance. The Aviation Business focuses on providing financing and advisory services to global airlines and aircraft leasing companies. Financing transactions for the two business lines will typically include structured syndicated financing, sponsor-supported project financing, acquisition financing and asset financing covering various structures such as finance and operating leasing, tax leases (French and JOLCOs), export credit guaranteed loans, etc.
The candidate will be expected to:
• Work directly with the various business teams: reviewing and assisting in the structuring, drafting and negotiation of the legal documentation and managing, from a legal risk perspective, the documentation process for financing transactions;
• Advise and interact with our Risk and Agency teams and the relevant committees of BNP Paribas in relation to legal issues arising in the course of advisory and transactional work;
• Report / escalate potential legal risk issues;
• Instruct, supervise and maintain relationships with external lawyers across APAC; and
• Assist in the management of the legal risk in relation to financing transactions and matters.
Competencies (Technical / Behavioural)
The candidate should:
• Have strong legal analytical skills with a proven ability to manage, execute and complete cross-border financing transactions;
• Be independent and thorough in the execution of his/her work and be commercially minded;
• Have strong time management skills and the ability to effectively prioritise competing work demands and to meet tight deadlines when required;
• Be a self-motivated and confident individual who is able to manage a diverse workload;
• Have strong interpersonal skills and be capable of working both autonomously and as part of a cross-disciplinary and cross-border team; and
• Be a good team player who is adaptive, open to acquiring new skills and working across diverse banking products.
Specific Qualifications Required
• Legally qualified in England, Singapore, Hong Kong or any other common law jurisdiction with between approximately two and five years of legal experience in cross-border banking and finance (preferably including experience in an international law firm and/or international bank and specific experience in, Aircraft (or other asset-based) Finance and/or Project Finance);
• Excellent command of spoken and written English; and
• Chinese language fluency (spoken and written) is preferred.