In Asia Pacific, BNP Paribas is one of the best-positioned international financial institutions with an uninterrupted presence since 1860. Currently with over 18,000 employees* and a presence in 13 markets, BNP Paribas provides corporates, institutional and private investors with product and service solutions tailored to their specific needs. It offers a wide range of financial services covering corporate & institutional banking, wealth management, asset management, insurance, as well as retail banking and consumer financing through strategic partnerships.
Worldwide, BNP Paribas has a presence in 68 markets with more than 193,000 employees. It has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. Asia Pacific is a key strategic region for BNP Paribas and it continues to develop its franchise in the region.
* excluding partnerships
At BNP Paribas, we passionately embrace diversity and are committed to fostering an inclusive workplace where all employees are valued, respected and can bring their authentic selves to work. We prohibit Discrimination and Harassment of any kind and our policies promote equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants, irrespective of, but not limited to their gender, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, ethnicity, race, colour, national origin, age, religion, social status, mental or physical disabilities, veteran status etc. As a global Bank, we truly believe that inclusion and diversity of our teams is key to our success in serving our clients and the communities we operate in.
The APAC Corporate Banking Legal Team supports many of BNP Paribas’ Global Banking business lines across APAC comprising of the Corporate Clients Group, the Capital Markets Group and Transaction Banking APAC. The work is wide ranging and covers structured / secured and syndicated lending (including Energy, Natural Resources & Project Finance, Transportation Finance, Loan Capital Markets, and Real Estate Finance) through to Corporate Coverage and Transaction Banking (which covers supply chain finance, cash management, corporate deposits and trade services products). On a needs basis, the team also handles debt recovery, insolvency and restructuring work for BNP Paribas’ Value Preservation Group (VPG) and supports the Agency teams of BNP Paribas.
Each lawyer in the APAC Corporate Banking Legal Team is a general banking lawyer in that they are able to deal with queries and transactions from any of the Global Banking business lines, but each lawyer also maintains a core area of specialisation in a specific industry, ensuring that there is a depth of knowledge, experience and expertise in each of those areas across the Team.
The lawyers in the APAC Corporate Banking Legal Team are based in Hong Kong or Singapore but work closely with generalist lawyers based in the other offices of BNP Paribas in the APAC region. Through the LEGAL function’s Financing Platform, there are also regular opportunities to interact with BNP Paribas’ lawyers around the globe and to participate in global projects and initiatives relating to various financing topics such as sustainable finance.
The candidate will be required to advise the BNP Paribas’ Global Banking business.
This role will primarily support BNP Paribas’ Global Banking business with a focus on advising the Loans and Specialised Finance business lines of BNP Paribas. Financing transactions for these business lines will typically include corporate bilateral lending, structured and secured syndicated financing, real estate financing, sponsor-supported project financing, acquisition financing and fund financing.
The candidate will be expected to:
• Work directly with the various business teams in reviewing and assisting in the structuring, drafting and negotiation of legal documentation and managing, from a legal risk perspective, the documentation process for financing transactions;
• Together with other members of the team, create, develop, maintain and update precedent documents and other agreements necessary to support the delivery by the Global Banking/ Transaction Banking businesses of the Bank in APAC of regional products and services;
• Advise and interact with other internal stakeholders and committees including Agency, Compliance, Risk and VPG in relation to legal issues arising in the course of advisory and transactional work;
• Instruct, supervise and maintain relationships with external lawyers across APAC;
• Assist in the management of legal risk in relation to financing transactions and matters through compliance with BNP Paribas’ Legal Policies and Procedures;
• Contribute to the creation, development, maintenance and communication of know-how, legal updates, legal policies and procedures;
• Lead, manage, assist on and implement multi-jurisdictional or transversal projects when needed including by close co-operation with other BNP Paribas in-house lawyers based in the other offices of BNP Paribas in APAC and globally; and
• Keep abreast of legal and regulatory developments in relation to banking and financing matters affecting the Corporate Banking Legal team in APAC.
Technical & Behavioral Competencies
The candidate should:
• Have strong legal analytical skills with a proven ability to manage, execute and complete cross-border financing transactions. Prior experience in Energy or Project Finance or Fund Finance principles and products will be advantageous;
• Be independent and thorough in the execution of his/her work and be commercially minded while also maintaining principles of conduct;
• Have strong time management skills and the ability to effectively prioritise competing work demands and to meet tight deadlines when required;
• Be a self-motivated and confident individual who is able to manage a diverse workload;
• Have strong interpersonal skills and be capable of working both autonomously and as part of a cross-disciplinary and cross-border team; and
• Be a good team player who is conscientious, adaptive, open to acquiring new skills and working across diverse banking products.
Specific Qualifications (if required)
• Legally qualified in England, Hong Kong, Singapore, or any other common law jurisdiction;
• Have between two to five years of post-qualification legal experience in cross-border banking and finance (preferably experience in an international law firm/ major local firm and/or international bank and specific experience in Project Finance or Fund Finance work);
• Excellent command of spoken and written English; and
• Chinese language fluency (spoken and written) preferred.