Legal Counsel Capital Market – m/f/x
Want to help shape the bank of tomorrow today?
BNP Paribas Fortis, the no. 1 bank in Belgium with approx. 11,000 employees, offers a comprehensive package of financial services to private individuals, self-employed, professional clients, and SMEs.
The Bank also provides high net worth individuals, corporates, public and financial institutions with customised solutions, for which it is able to draw on the know-how and international network of its mother company, BNP Paribas.
The Legal Department of BNP Paribas Fortis (that is composed of approx. 70 persons) is looking for a lawyer having an experience in banking and financial law in relation to corporate and institutional clients, ideally in the capital markets area.
Within Legal, Legal Capital Markets (Legal CM) provides legal transactional and advisory services to the corporate & institutional clients’ business teams in relation to derivatives (standardised Master Agreements and bespoke transactions), securities (stand-alone and syndicated issues of various types of bonds, both plain vanilla and structured), commercial paper, securitisation, assets & liabilities management, securities financing and equity transactions.
It works closely with the Legal Invest team in charge of retail and private banking activities, as well as with other internal support and control functions (Compliance, Tax, Risk). It also provides support and collaborates with other entities within the BNP Paribas Group via the legal derivatives and securities platforms set up at Group level.
Your future job
As Legal Counsel in the Legal Capital Markets Team (Legal CM), you will:
- be in charge of drafting legal documentation, advising and accompanying the Derivatives, Debt Markets (vanilla or structured notes), Syndication, Commercial Paper, Securitisation, Assets & Liabilities Management (ALM), Global Equities & Commodity Derivatives (GECD), and Equity Capital Markets (ECM) businesses in the execution of their transactions. It implies being involved from a project's inception to completion. The different business teams rely heavily on Legal CM to get the deals executed.
- prepare, review and negotiate all legal documentation in relation to derivatives and securities issues (master agreements, various types of contracts linked to diverse capital markets transactions, prospectus, marketing communications, term sheets, mandate letters, legal opinions, commitments of the Bank, …). In this context, you will demonstrate strong drafting, negotiation and advisory skills.
- coordinate and negotiate with clients/issuers and banks, as well as with external lawyers, auditors, trustees, asset managers, paying agents, local and foreign public authorities and other stake holders in order to validate, formalise and execute legal documentation and transactions.
- closely follow up, and provide legal advice, on legislative, regulatory and market practice developments that impact the business activities. You’ll take care of the follow up and implementation of capital markets regulation and you’ll share legal developments with colleagues within the Legal Department and with the relevant business stakeholders. You will work closely with the banking and other relevant professional associations (Febelfin, Belsipa, ISDA, ICMA…). You will be involved in European and Belgian legal consultations, together with the Business and the relevant BNP Paribas (Fortis) working groups (industry lobbying).
Highlight your strengths
- You have a Master degree in Law, preferably with a specialisation in banking and finance law.
- You have approximately 5 years of experience in legal transactional and/or advisory work in the financial services industry or in an international law firm where you have been dealing with corporate, institutional and/or structured finance, ideally in the capital markets area.
- You are fluent in English and also in Dutch and/or French.
- You have an experience and/or aptitude in negotiating.
- You are well-organised, with the ability to manage several tasks whilst working under pressure.
- You are able to identify and resolve problems, proposing solutions with creativity whilst being risk aware.
- Whilst working in an autonomous manner, You have a high team spirit and a true willingness to share knowledge and know-how.
- More junior candidates (i.e. having less expertise in the required area but with a good understanding of general financial concepts) with strong legal analysis skills and able to demonstrate their capacity to work in a challenging and dynamic environment will also be considered.
Your future workplace
In a changing world, diversity and inclusion are core values for team well-being and performance. At BNP Paribas Fortis, we want to welcome and retain all talents, regardless of gender, age, origin or sexual orientation, and irrespective of whether or not they are living with a disability, as each of them have their own experience and identity. Together, let's build the bank of tomorrow: innovative, responsible and sustainable. All of our full-time vacancies are also open to candidates wishing to work 80% or 90%.
By choosing us, you get
- a position in a Bank that has been certified as “Top Employer” by the Top Employers Institute during the last 8 years.
- a function working closely in cooperation with the Business, in a challenging and diversified working environment offering responsibilities.
- the possibility to enhance your legal knowledge and skills through various training opportunities.
- competitive wages in line with your profile and experience and a broad range of extra-legal advantages.
Choose BNP Paribas Fortis now and apply here.
We will make our first selections on the basis of your CV and letter of motivation. Are you the candidate we’re looking for? Then you’re sure to hear from us. Good luck!