Senior Lead Data Engineering
Want to help shape the bank of tomorrow today?
At the bank for a changing world, our tribe employees make ‘change’ their greatest asset, turning challenges into opportunities: they think ahead to offer their customers creative solutions which are perfectly suited to their needs. At BNP Paribas Fortis, the country’s number one bank, employees enjoy ongoing career growth in a meaningful, rewarding and flexible working environment.
The agile Data Hub tribe has the ambition to be the ‘one stop data shop’ for all who need data in the bank. This means that you are part of the fast-paced and dynamic world of Data within BNP Paribas Fortis, contributing to many projects across the bank and servicing all business lines and functions of the bank with qualitative data products and solutions.
As lead Data Engineer, you are member of the Data Hub’s leadership and chapter lead of the Tribes functional data engineers. You will have impact on the definition of the Tribe’s vision and strategy - using business challenges and tribe’s challenges as input -, and you will contribute to making it happen, e.g. via your chapter, together with peer chapter leads.
Do you want to support a community of Data and Customer-obsessed colleagues to ensure quality and consistency in their activities and delivery, as well as continuous growth in knowledge and experience? Do you strive for making the difference and help the Bank to improve its Net Promote Score (NPS) and Net Promotor Score as Employer (NPE)?
Your future job!
The Data Hub tribe is looking for a Lead Data Engineer with a proven track record in the field of data engineering and data innovation within a traditional and/or big data setting. You master many aspects of data solution design (data management, data modelling, data securing, data governance) and data engineering (requirements gathering, solution design, data collection, integration, storing, delivery for multiple diverse consumptions (reporting, dashboarding, analytics, data pipes for data scientists, self-service, etc).
As a Lead Data Engineer, you
- bring proven expertise in most data management and data engineering methodologies and you know when and how to apply them
- use this expertise to set up guidelines and best practices for data management and data engineering and make sure they are applied in the tribe (covering e.g. requirements gathering, data modelling, data solution design, data securing, data governance, data collection, integration, storing, delivery for multiple diverse consumptions (reporting, dashboarding, analytics, data pipes for data scientists, self-service, etc). You continuously improve those guidelines and practices to the latest regulations on ‘Data by design’ and Data Privacy/security.
- educate, peer coach and monitor the adoption of the practices in day-to-day activities
- use the monitoring activities to trigger action for continuously improved high quality data engineering solutions. You setup the necessary processes to improve efficiency and focus on reusable design patterns, standardisations, building blocks and reuse.
- stay informed about new evolutions in the domain of data engineering. Participate to trainings or conferences and share this knowledge.
As a chapter lead, together with a team of data engineers, you
- manage all HR aspects for your chapter members: you define and discuss training paths; you discuss career paths; you coach them to continuously improve; you evaluate and challenge them, providing feedback to evolve to the next level.
- organize a community of practice around data management and engineering, in close collaboration with the tribe data manager and other transversal tribe roles.
- recruit & on-board chapter members (internals, externals together with supplier)
- ensure all Chapter members demonstrate the right agile behaviours, as well as skills and knowledge to perform their duties. Provide the necessary feedback, training and coaching in this context.
- foster and stimulate collaboration in and sharing amongst the squads (in chapter), tribes, guilds in the bank and with similar teams in the group
As member of Tribe leadership, you
- You support the tribe in defining the tribe vision and strategy, and translating it into actions and initiatives at tribe and chapter level. You identify key results to achieve, and ways of measuring and following up on progression with leadership and squads.
- Together with the leadership squad, you oversee Tribe delivery and delivery quality. You identify continuous improvement actions, allowing the tribe to deliver value to its customers and employees.
Highlight your strengths!
You take pride in the following knowledge and experience that you have already acquired and applied, which are indispensable for this role. Requirements for this function:
- A master degree related to (commercial) engineering, computer science, or equivalent through experience.
- > 6 years of practical experience in data practices and technologies as a functional or technical data engineer or as a BI/data architect, in the business intelligence or analytics department (or BICC) of a financial/telco services company (data management, data engineering and data visualization). Designing and developing ETL/ELT, DWH and data marts, data pipes and reusable patterns, API’s etc hold no secrets for you ; engineering scalable solutions using big data technologies including but not limited to Hadoop, HDFS, Kafka, Flink, Spark, Scala, Hbase, Elastic, in a cloud environment neither.
- Experience in breaking down complexity using different methodologies (agile, lean, DevOps), translating requirements to specification artefacts and story boards to build towards, using a test-driven approach; openness to continuously learn and improve.
- Track record in defining good practices and guidelines for good data pipe and data store setups – in traditional data engineering in BI as well as cloud big data environments -, monitoring, continuously evaluating and improving, is your big contribution to the team and tribe.
- Customer-obsessed mindset, as well as innovation-minded and critical mindset (‘good enough’) ; proven experience in translating the company strategy and the Tribe strategy into a concrete trajectory for the squads and Chapter members. Good stakeholder management upholding our Data Team’s brand and values.
- Proven track record of people management and coaching and mentoring skills; ability to motivate and engage people and to bring them to the next level.
- proficient communication skills (written, orally) in English as well as good level of French and/or Dutch.
What does BNP Paribas Fortis offer you?
Thanks to the daily commitment of our more than 12,000 employees, BNP Paribas Fortis aims to be a responsible and sustainable leader and the preferred partner of our clients over the long term.
In a changing world, diversity and inclusion are core values. At BNP Paribas Fortis, we want to attract and retain people of all ages, from all backgrounds and each with their own experience. We firmly believe that diversity increases performance and innovation. All our full-time offers are also open to candidates wishing to work on an 80% or 90% full-time equivalent basis.
We believe that our evolution is driven and inspired by our employees. In return, we provide optimal working conditions that enable you to develop on both a professional and personal level. We offer a challenging working environment in which you are going to have a real impact within our company.
You can actively shape your benefit package to respond to your individual needs. You can let your career evolve inside BNPPF based on your interested and plans. Also moves in the large BNP group are possible.
Tempted by the challenge?
Interested in this position? We invite you to apply online. You can except to receive a response to your application within two weeks.