Management responsibilities for the operation and administration of the company’s IT Infrastructure and services, especially customer and client facing services.
This role covers continuity management including backups, incident management, problem management, release management, change management, availability management, vendor & supplier management.
Manage the day to day effective operations of the servers and their surrounding infrastructure:
- Effectively manage a team of circa 6 staff, ensuring they all have up to date, agreed job descriptions, have performance reviews in line with the company standards and are trained in line with agreed training plans to effectively deliver a first-class service.
- Administer and maintain the mission critical servers (99% Microsoft plus Linux) hosted mainly within the company’s data centre and premises in Solihull and Belfast. Ensure these are operated smoothly and backed up in line with agreed backup and recovery plans.
- Configure and set-up of all new server systems.
- Administer email servers for company-wide email.
- Provide comprehensive support for the build and maintenance of in-house designed solutions and third party provided solutions
- Accountable for administration of primary DNS for company owned domains.
- Accountable for administration and patching of appliances such as load balancing, mail, web proxy and authentication.
- Accountable for management and patching of hypervisor platforms.
- Accountable for addressing identified security issues across all server and surrounding infrastructure.
- Accountable for the management of storage platforms.
- Own, develop and manage the following critical processes and procedures for IT in line with best industry practice: Continuity Mgmt including backups, Unix Admin, Incident Mgmt, Problem Mgmt, Release Mgmt, Change Mgmt, Capacity Mgmt, Availability Mgmt, Service Level Mgmt and Configuration Mgmt.
Plan and implement the agreed strategic direction for servers and contribute to the overall strategic direction for infrastructure:
- Work with SMEs to ensure all proposed changes and enhancements are in line with agreed standards and that these reflect the defined technical architecture. Consider hosting implications and where web sites should best be hosted.
- Design and implement short and long term strategic plans to ensure server capacity meets existing and future requirements.
- Develop, implement and maintain policies, procedures and documentation for servers
- Participate in the development of IT strategies in collaboration with the Head of IT Infrastructure.
- Conduct research and make recommendations on products, services, protocols and standards in support of all infrastructure procurement and development efforts.
Assist in the gaining new business and deliver the requirements for the server aspects of these projects:
- Prepare RFP’s, bid proposals, contracts, scope of work reports and other documentation for server part of projects and associated efforts
- Negotiate with vendors, outsourcers and contractors to secure server specific products and services
- Identify and estimate infrastructure elements of project work including interdependencies to allow for scheduling within the resourcing plan.
- Working with the Architecture team, to ensure that deployments meet design specifications. Assist with the planning and deployment of server security measures.
Continually review and improve the effective operational management of the infrastructure:
- Work with third parties to proactively improve Linux performance by ensuring administrative tasks and configuration changes are performed.
- Conduct feasibility studies for various upgrade projects, improvements and other conversions.
- Define hardware and software standards in conjunction with technology specialist, owners and stakeholders.
- Develop strategies and roadmaps for maintaining server and storage infrastructure.
- Manage operational costs; conduct near and long term financial forecasts for expanded functionality/user base
- Establish and maintain regular written and in person communications with the Heads of Department, decision makers, stakeholders and end users regarding pertinent server and operational activities.
- Practice IT asset management, including maintenance of component inventory and related documentation.
- Ensure the team is properly resourced, recommending changes to address the changing workload, using a variety of resourcing solutions. Appoint and train new staff as appropriate and ensure succession planning is in place for internal promotion as appropriate.
- Promote ITIL fundamentals within the activities of the IT team and also the wider business, embrace process improvement and industry best practice
- Participate in the management of the IT team and deputise for the Head of IT Infrastructure in their absence, if required.
Resolve problems speedily and permanently:
- Be the person who owns Problem Management and Incident Management
- Proactively monitor systems to prevent failure
- Identify single points of failure and recovery plans
- Work with the IT team to establish a robust Business Continuity Plan and Disaster Recovery Plan.
- Practice the Disaster Recovery at least annually.
- In the event of a failure, or SEV1, manage the server side of the problem through to a speedy resolution.