At Bank of the West, our people are having a positive impact on the world. We’re investing where we feel we can make the most impact, like advancing diversity and women entrepreneurship programs, financing for more small businesses, and promoting programs for sustainable energy. From our locations across the U.S., Bank of the West is taking action to help protect the planet, improve people’s lives, and strengthen communities. We are part of BNP Paribas, a global leader supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Yes, we’re a bank, but as the bank for a changing world, we are continually seeking to improve the ways we help our customers, while contributing to more sustainable and equitable growth.
Job Description Summary
Responsible for management of employee relations function for a geographical region of the Bank. Responsible for implementing and coordinating policies/programs covering all areas of Human Resources. Manages efforts to enhance work environment and morale of staff.
This position is part of Employee Relations leading the Leave of Absence, Workers Compensation and Accommodation teams at Bank of the West. Responsibilities will include implementing the operational strategy, administration, and management of cross-functional partnerships with key stakeholders and third party administrators.
Essential Job Function
- Provide oversight and management of the Leaves of Absence Program, including policy, procedures, process, risk mitigation, and engagement with internal and external partners.
- Deliver high results and solutions resulting in a consistent and easy to navigate team member experience that provides management transparency and oversight.
- Strategic planning, case and vendor management, reporting and trending.
- Work with the Bank and Vendor to ease the navigation of complex leave, ADA, FMLA and W. Compensation processes and decisions.
- Navigate complex laws to direct policies, practices and experience especially as it relates to disability and discrimination.
- Review of E2E processes including intersections of leave laws with ADA as well as compliance with laws.
- Create processes, framework, and controls that allow for active case management including the interactive process as well as oversight and governance.
- Documentation, Reporting, Trending.
- Provide oversight and management of the Reasonable Accommodations Process with a focus on problem solving and creative solutions for both the employee and line of business.
- Provide oversight and management of the Workers’ Compensation Program with strong coordination between internal and external stakeholders.
- Develop strategies that ensure LOA, Workers Compensation, and ADA programs are designed and executed efficiently while aligning with company goals.
- Ensure the LOA, Workers Compensation and ADA programs deliver a great employee experience through innovative solutions, communications, and education.
- Counsels and guides Bank managers and employees in all areas of human resources policies (i.e., personnel administration, policy interpretation, employee complaints/grievances, corrective action procedures, etc.) directly and through oversight of Employee Relations Officers and other direct reports.
- Works closely with other Employee Relations Managers to assure consistency of actions throughout the Bank.
- Identifies employee needs with regard to performance problems, training options and career pathing. Makes recommendations accordingly.
- Provides input to the Head of Employee Relations and the CHRO regarding potential enhancements to current HR policies/practices or the development of new HR practices.
- Conducts exit interviews to determine reason for termination. Assists business managers in determining reasons for turnover and recommends appropriate solutions for identified problems.
- Works with managers and employees as needed to resolve communication issues or resolve employee grievances team including selection, development, performance review, etc.
- Demonstrated leadership that builds our values, provides purpose and direction resulting in improving team performance.
- Typically has mastery level knowledge in Leaves of Absence, ADA, FMLA and W. comp in a multi-state footprint including CA.
- Requires 10 years minimum prior relevant experience.
- Thorough knowledge of HR laws and regulations especially as it relates to Leaves, FMLA, ADA, W. Comp
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex operations, develop internal controls and manage third part vendors
- Demonstrated ability to reconcile complex employee issues.
- Ability to interact with all employee levels effectively.
- Works collectively
- Analytical, research and reporting.
- Attentive to detail.
- Demonstrated management/leadership.
- Effective negotiation skills.
- Interpersonal skills.
- Planning and organizing.
- Presentation skills.
- Problem solving.
- Use PC with MS Office Software.
- Written/verbal communication.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.