In Asia Pacific, BNP Paribas is one of the best-positioned international financial institutions with an uninterrupted presence since 1860. Currently with over 18,000 employees* and a presence in 13 markets, BNP Paribas provides corporates, institutional and private investors with product and service solutions tailored to their specific needs. It offers a wide range of financial services covering corporate & institutional banking, wealth management, asset management, insurance, as well as retail banking and consumer financing through strategic partnerships.
Worldwide, BNP Paribas has a presence in 68 markets with more than 193,000 employees. It has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. Asia Pacific is a key strategic region for BNP Paribas and it continues to develop its franchise in the region.
* excluding partnerships
At BNP Paribas, we passionately embrace diversity and are committed to fostering an inclusive workplace where all employees are valued, respected and can bring their authentic selves to work. We prohibit Discrimination and Harassment of any kind and our policies promote equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants, irrespective of, but not limited to their gender, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, ethnicity, race, colour, national origin, age, religion, social status, mental or physical disabilities, veteran status etc. As a global Bank, we truly believe that inclusion and diversity of our teams is key to our success in serving our clients and the communities we operate in.
Legal Counsel for BNP Paribas’ China Securities entity based in Shanghai, providing legal advice and documentation support primarily to the Global Markets and Asset Management businesses in China, as well as providing generalist legal support in respect of corporate, data and regulatory issues, and disputes
- Ensure that consistently high quality legal advice and support is provided at all times.
• In respect of Global Markets, this is likely to relate to market infrastructure, automated market making and brokerage in respect of cash equities and listed securities and derivatives.
• In respect of Asset Management, this is likely to include participating directly in preparation of legal documentation in connection with launching asset management products (including fund contracts and distribution agreements) and investment advisory agreements, as well as service level agreements, vendor agreements, investment and trading-related documents, with the support of other team members and/or external counsel when necessary;
- Monitor and ensure changes in laws and regulations which affect Global Markets and Asset Management businesses in China are identified, analyzed, reported and escalated as appropriate;
- Acting as the primary point of escalation for Asset Management and Global Markets management for legal risk and documentation-related issues relating to the China Securities entity;
- Participating directly in transactions, reviewing documentation and providing transaction management and legal advice, with the support of other team members and/or external counsel when necessary;
- Advising business and senior management in Global Markets and Asset Management on legal issues relating to business strategy, new products, key projects and strategic initiatives;
- Attending to personnel and resourcing issues when necessary and working with other legal team members as appropriate;
- Assisting in the provision or coordination of company secretarial matters of the China Securities entity;
- Ensuring that internal legal policies and guidelines are understood and implemented; organizing and, if necessary, providing training to internal clients and colleagues where appropriate; and
- Coordinating with Global Markets and Asset Management and other lawyers in Legal in the region and globally to share information, align practices and ensure consistent adoption of relevant group policies.
- Assist as required to PRC regulatory applications or other PRC regulatory issues;
- Provide advice to other in-house lawyers on specific areas of PRC laws;
- Work with other legal advisors in PRC, Hong Kong and elsewhere in relation to PRC law matters.
Permanent Control Aspects
For all managers:
- Direct contribution to BNPP operational permanent control framework.
- Responsible for the implementation of operational permanent control policies and procedures in day-to-day business activities, such as Control Plan
- Responsible for ensuring team members to comply with regulatory requirements and internal guidelines.
- Responsible for reporting all incidents according to the Incident Management System
- Responsible for ensuring job descriptions are written, distributed and updated
- Ensure audit recommendations are resolved within the specific timeline.
Technical & Behavioral Competencies
- Self-motivated and confident individual, able to manage a large and diverse workload and interact comfortably and convincingly with all levels of management within the company.
- Experience/expertise in derivatives and asset management product documentation and advisory.
- Some knowledge of the relevant PRC regulatory/legal regimes in respect of derivatives and capital markets products and asset management products.
- Outgoing and robust personality, capable of working both autonomously and as part of a cross-border team.
- Able to deal with a robust and demanding internal client base, including by handling multiple matters simultaneously and by meeting tight deadlines when required.
Specific Qualifications (if required)
- Securities practitioner qualification is a must;
- Legally qualified to work in PRC with 5-8 years of experience in a major law firm or top tier investment bank/asset management houses;
- Excellent command of written and spoken English and Chinese (Mandarin).