At Bank of the West, our people are having a positive impact on the world. We’re investing where we feel we can make the most impact, like advancing diversity and women entrepreneurship programs, financing for more small businesses, and promoting programs for sustainable energy. From our locations across the U.S., Bank of the West is taking action to help protect the planet, improve people’s lives, and strengthen communities. We are part of BNP Paribas, a global leader supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Yes, we’re a bank, but as the bank for a changing world, we are continually seeking to improve the ways we help our customers, while contributing to more sustainable and equitable growth.
Bank of the West seeks a Head of Enterprise Data Engineering to usher in cutting-edge technologies for data. This role is expected to drive new technology adoptions, attract top technology talent, and contribute to the organization’s overall data strategy. This leader will have experience implementing big data technologies, analytics, best in class data practices, and multi-year technology roadmaps, engage with lines of business, internal customers and BNP Paribas. Responsible for providing strategic leadership on applications and support of project portfolio for Data Services. Plays a key role in managing and executing Data Engineering and DevOps. Lead a team of 50+ individuals across San Ramon, Tempe and India (Mumbai, Chennai).
Essential Job Functions
1. Participates in the planning process for future development and growth of the business.
2. Prepares proposals for major capital expenditures. Ensures conformity of technology investments to corporate plants, and the economic feasibility of recommendations. Proposals include equipment, software consulting services, etc.
3. Manages work queues and prioritizes to achieve maximum utility of resources and optimum delivery time. Utilizes productivity tools, measures and procedures.
4. Provides technical expertise in the examination and definition of objectives for existing or proposed systems and in the design of improved systems utilizing information services.
5. Develops and manages direct operating expense financial plans for the group and allocates funds within the budget. Develops recommendations of capital funding.
6. Plans, coordinates and schedules investigation, feasibility studies and surveys, including the economic evaluations or proposed technology-based products and services to determine cost, benefit and applicability.
7. Works with the executives of business units to coordinate the prioritization of application software projects. Develops cross system impact plan and coordinates with information systems groups.
8. Participates with all areas on information systems to design and maintain overall application software and system's architecture.
9. Manages employees through subordinates, usually other managers. Establishes performance goals, allocates resources, monitors progress and risks. Develops recommendations/action plans. Assesses overall performance of units and develops/monitors action plans.
10. Creates quality standards group.
11. Maintains a working knowledge of current and emerging technologies. Interprets their applicability to short and long-term bank needs.
12. Performs other duties as assigned.
Enterprise Data Services/ Engineering Functions
· Defines and implements data strategy to accelerate growth, enable innovation, improve efficiencies and realize operational and regulatory excellence
· Responsible and accountable for design and architecture, development or outsourcing, for a wide range of data-centric initiatives including but not limited to business (e.g. commercial, retail, wealth, personal finance, digital) and support functions such as finance, risk, compliance, marketing, legal etc.
· Monitor and manage technology budget (capital and operating expenses)
· Attract, develop and grow team with core competency in big data technology
· Improves how the Bank collects, uses, manages, and publishes data. Implements data quality strategies
· Works closely with various lines of defense to implement appropriate controls to protect Bank of the West's (The Bank) sensitive information
· Provides senior and executive management with direction and guidance on data-centric initiatives
· Partners with CDO to ensure alignment with enterprise data policies and standards
· 10+ years of relevant experience in data and analytics; ability to manage a large, global team
· Proven leadership within a complex organization in financial services or similarly regulated industry
· Demonstrated technical experience in Big Data Platforms & Solutions
· Demonstrated experience in leveraging data to meet regulatory requirements across finance, risk and compliance
· Strong understanding of Data Warehousing, Data Lakes, Big Data and Cloud technologies
· Demonstrated ability to build strong business and supplier relationships that ensure the successful delivery of IT services that drives benefits to the Segment/BU
· Demonstrated ability to influence efforts for creating and maintaining standards for data management
· Proven ability to inspire, motivate and lead a team to produce quality work in the development of solutions as well as the ability to develop teams and mentor staff
· Ability to communicate effectively to executive leadership in both business and technology roles
· Proven results in delivering creative and innovative business and technology solutions
· Demonstrated strong hands-on software technical work and expertise
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience in Information Technology related field
· Master’s/Advanced Degree in Computer Science preferred
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran. Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.