The Group Legal N.A., Derivatives & Structured Products team provides transactional, structural, and advisory and documentation support for BNPP’s Global Market businesses in North and Latin America and Canada, including with respect to ISDA master agreements and other derivatives trading documentation.
*Physical presence in BNPP’s office(s) is an essential function of this position. BNPP requires all of our employees to be vaccinated in order to access its offices, subject to reasonable accommodations for reasons related to disability or religion.
Candidate Success Factors:
Candidates to be measured on the following four performance drivers, which will dictate how individual impact is considered on the Americas platform:
- Results and Impact
- Impacts division and influences peers and team
- Demonstrates good judgement when making decisions of high complexity and impact
- Relies on limited guidance for most complex decision making
- Is responsible for driving outcomes which have meaningful effect on team or department
- Leadership and Collaboration
- Creates trust with department leaders
- Acts in leadership capacity for large projects, processes, or programs for a team
- Client, Customer and Stakeholder Focus
- Able to build relationships with a mix of intermediate and senior colleagues or clients
- Interacts regularly with management and department leaders
- Demonstrates the ability to persuade and influence stakeholders at the team level
- Compliance Culture and Conduct
- Takes full responsibility for personal actions and demonstrates courage in facing problems and conflicts
- Perceived as a person of high moral character; upholds corporate values and displays high ethical standards”
- Provide legal advice to front office personnel in the Global Markets division of BNP Paribas in relation to standard and bespoke derivatives transactions, primarily in the Credit, Rates and Foreign Exchange asset classes.
- Act as primary legal advisor to the Foreign Exchange Prime Brokerage business in the Americas, including drafting and negotiating FX prime brokerage agreements and give up agreements.
- Analyze derivatives trading-related legal and regulatory issues, including closeout netting, ERISA, 1940 Act requirements, applicability of various U.S. and cross-border regulations, including Dodd-Frank and Margin Rules, trading venue agreements, closeout procedures for defaulting counterparties, and discuss related issues with internal stakeholders and clients.
- Analyze and provide advice in connection with internal approval processes for exceptional transactions, new business activities and new trading venues, including coordinating with external counsel, business sponsors and in-house lawyers in other jurisdictions.
- Draft, review and negotiate master agreements, including ISDAs, CSAs, MRAs, GMRAs, MSFTAs, Account Control Agreements and related derivatives documentation with outside clients such as investment funds and corporate end users. Develop and maintain internal policies and procedures for master agreement negotiations coordinate staffing and advise junior negotiators with respect to complex issues arising during negotiations.
- Review terms of credit agreements, inter-creditor agreements, security agreements, guarantees and related documentation for finance-linked hedging transactions, negotiate, and advise with respect to related provisions in ISDA Master Agreements.
- Maintain and update internal legal documentation database and tracking spreadsheet of open negotiations and attend status meetings and conference calls.
- Manage ad hoc projects as required.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- JD Degree, admission to New York bar.
- At least 8 + years of law firm or in-house experience
- Experience in negotiating repurchase agreements, ISDA Master Agreements, Credit Support Annexes, MSFTAs, Account Control Agreements, as well as, related ancillary documentation including confidentiality agreements, amendment agreements and guarantee forms)
- Experience in:
- Negotiating with external clients and asset managers
- Advising capital markets trading businesses
- Client on-boarding
- Negotiation, oral and written communication skills
- Analytical, organizational and analytical and interpersonal skills
- Experience handling multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to prioritize workload, manage time efficiently while retaining attention to detail
- Work well in a fast paced environment
- Work across the organization as required and maintain high standards of professionalism in all dealings with team members and internal/external clients
- Microsoft Office
- Proficient in Excel
- Additional experience in loan facilities, corporate banking agreements, electronic trading documentation, trade confirmations, structured derivatives transactions, and all related documentation preferred, but not required.
FINRA Registrations Required:
CFTC Swap Dealer Associated Person (if yes, NFA Swaps Proficiency Program is required):
SEC Security-Based Swap Dealer Associated Person:
About BNP Paribas:
In the United States, BNP Paribas has built a strong and diversified presence to support its client base. We continue to grow and strengthen our commitment to the US market through our Corporate & Institutional Banking activities. We are one of a few non-US banks to offer a full value chain for our clients, from trading to financing, and clearing and custody in the US with the international footprint and capacity to deliver both globally and locally. Leveraging the strength of our European roots, our network can support clients in virtually every region of the world, enabling more connectivity and efficiency wherever our clients conduct business.
BNP Paribas’ Corporate & Institutional Banking services corporate clients and institutional investors offering tailored solutions in financing, cash management, and advisory services to companies via Corporate Banking, in capital markets via Global Markets, and in securities custody and administration via Securities Services. As the asset management arm of BNP Paribas, BNP Paribas Asset Management offers high value-added solutions to individual savers, companies, and institutional investors.
The bank employs nearly 14,000 people and has a presence in the country since the late 1800s in major cities including New York, Jersey City, Chesterbrook, PA, San Francisco, Boston, Chicago, Denver and Washington, DC.
BNP Paribas is a leading bank in Europe with an international reach across the US, EMEA and APAC. It has a presence in 65 countries, with nearly 190,000 employees. The Bank offers a comprehensive range of banking, investment and financial services solutions through three main fields of activity: Retail Banking for the Bank’s retail-banking networks and several specialized businesses including BNP Paribas Personal Finance and Arval; Investment & Protection Services for savings, investment and protection solutions; and Corporate & Institutional Banking, focused on corporate and institutional clients. Based on its strong diversified and integrated model, BNP Paribas helps all its clients (individuals, community associations, entrepreneurs, SMEs, corporates and institutional clients) to realize their projects through solutions spanning financing, investment, savings and protection insurance.
We take pride in our expertise and our ability to adapt while constantly looking ahead to create a more sustainable world.
BNP Paribas. The Bank for a Changing World - https://usa.bnpparibas/en/homepage/join-us/our-opportunities/
BNP Paribas is committed to providing a work environment that fosters diversity, inclusion, and equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, age, creed, sex, religion, national origin, disability (physical or mental), marital status, citizenship, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, or any other legally protected status.