At Bank of the West, our people are having a positive impact on the world. We’re investing where we feel we can make the most impact, like advancing diversity and women entrepreneurship programs, financing for more small businesses, and promoting programs for sustainable energy. From our locations across the U.S., Bank of the West is taking action to help protect the planet, improve people’s lives, and strengthen communities. We are part of BNP Paribas, a global leader supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Yes, we’re a bank, but as the bank for a changing world, we are continually seeking to improve the ways we help our customers, while contributing to more sustainable and equitable growth.
Job Description Summary
Seeking experienced Data Mgmt, Mgr Sr to lead our journey of driving implementation and adoption of a new “Data HUB” to replace our legacy Enterprise Data Warehouse across the Enterprise and drive Data Design Authority forum to ensure good data usage practices. The “Data HUB” platform is leveraging HIVE, KAFKA messaging, and represents the strategic new approach to storing and making data available enterprise wide. The role will be responsible for setting the strategic path of the platform, ensuring it is setup as a “Center Of Excellence” with proper support so other groups in the bank can leverage it to deliver corporate objectives, that datasets are organized as reusable ‘data assets’ that can leveraged across the enterprise, working with respective product owners on deliverables, and partnering with Technology to ensure it has the proper oversight to maintain the health of the platform overall. Other related activities will include:
- Responsible for the design, development, implementation and support of BOTW Road-map, Enterprise infrastructure and associated applications.
- Recommends, supports and coordinates all technical development resources for initiatives. Provides pre- and post-implementation assessments of quality and benefit.
- Requires external and internal customer interface, excellent presentation skills, strong "service" mindset with proven performance in the development and maintenance of systems.
Essential Job Functions
- Works with the Chief Data Officer (CDO) / Platform Systems Leadership to develop and manage the enterprise data strategy, including top-down enterprise / CDO-led strategies and bottoms-up / business unit priorities and capabilities, including collaborative routines to prioritize goals and elements of the strategy over time
- Partners with the businesses to define data- and analytics-related business priorities and capabilities across all business functions
- Works with the data and analytics teams to establish and communicate KPIs and other performance metrics for data and analytics capabilities
- Leads the creation of a target state data architecture (in partnership with IT for related technical architecture) for the Enterprise that supports and enables the data strategy
- Ensures target data architecture maximizes the business value of existing data assets over time while also addressing strategic investment needs and technical debt remediation
- Helps the business leverage big data, new analytic methods, and other technologies and capabilities that improve operating processes; shorten paths for business users to use data for actionable insights; and advance digitization goals
- Implements control processes to ensure data initiatives and investments align with the enterprise data strategy (e.g., Project Review Board, data design boards, architecture committees, SDLC process, etc.)
- Establishes and manage processes to ensure value-added metadata, data quality, integrity, and protection are integrated at the design stage of all products, projects and systems and operationalized thereafter
- Analyzes different data sets to help identify how different lists for the same ‘master’ data topic area can be collapsed.
- Prepares presentations for all levels of staff / management
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with a diverse group, executives, managers and subject matter experts.
- Requires in-depth knowledge of job area typically obtained through higher level education combined with work experience.
- Typically viewed as the Subject Matter Expert (SME) in Data Warehousing / Data Lake concepts.
- Requires 12-15 years minimum prior relevant experience.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in a senior data management role in a major financial institution
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience in information architecture and development, including Big Data and new analytic technologies
- Requires 10+ years of SQL (MS SQL, Oracle, or Teradata)
- Requires 10+ years of experience with relational databases, data marts, etc.
- Requires proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Experience working in banking and good business knowledge and familiarity with consumer/small business/commercial banking products
- Bachelor’s Degree-required (in Computer Science, Information Systems, or similar degree)
- Must be highly detailed oriented. Must enjoy being immersed in ‘data’ and enjoy digging and tracing data for answers.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills coupled with thoroughness and attention to detail
- Strong execution / ‘get it done’ skills
- Must have solid organizational skills, with the ability to handle complex projects in a multi-tasking environment and meet deadlines with quality results.
- Ability to develop open, considerate, effective and productive working relationships with customers, external contacts and individuals
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills for report writing, business requirement proposals, client interaction, and methodology documentation.
- Knowledge of change management and software development life cycle practices (SDLC, Agile, and Waterfall helpful).
- Understanding and application of principles, standards, industry practices, techniques and concepts, as well as contributing to the development of new concepts, techniques and standards.
- Understanding on ‘data controls’, documentation, and implementation techniques.
- Prior experience working with large implementation projects would be beneficial for the candidate.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.