At Bank of the West, our people are having a positive impact on the world. We’re investing where we feel we can make the most impact, like advancing diversity and women entrepreneurship programs, financing for more small businesses, and promoting programs for sustainable energy. From our locations across the U.S., Bank of the West is taking action to help protect the planet, improve people’s lives, and strengthen communities. We are part of BNP Paribas, a global leader supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Yes, we’re a bank, but as the bank for a changing world, we are continually seeking to improve the ways we help our customers, while contributing to more sustainable and equitable growth.
To protect the health and safety of our employees and customers, Bank of the West requires all U.S. employees to provide proof of their vaccination status. Employees who are not fully vaccinated must undergo regular testing beginning May, 2022.
Job Description Summary
The Data Analytics Analyst – Fraud Prevention is responsible for sourcing system data from structured and unstructured datasets, anomaly detection, scripting task automation, data extraction design, coding, and data modeling. As a member of Fraud Prevention the Data Analyst will collaborate across business lines to collect, organize and analyze data from several source systems within the Bank. You will analyze large, complex structured/unstructured data sets in order to extract insights using SAS/ SQL, statistical analysis methods (Decision tools, Random Forest, Gradient Boosting), and/or machine learning techniques with various tools including Open Source methods. This position will support the design and implementation of fraud prevention analytics and strategies, specifically focused on payment fraud for digital and non-digital channels.
You will be responsible for supporting and/or developing sophisticated fraud strategies as it relates to fraud risk exposure. You will work with the fraud strategists to proactively identify trends, perform root-cause analyses, draw meaningful conclusions and provide change recommendations to senior management. You will support the assessment of strategy change recommendations and evaluate performance post-implementation, revising as needed to support budgeted fraud loss. The team member will collaborate with other Fraud Prevention team members and business product owners on new product initiatives with fraud impacts.
Essential Job Functions
- Assist the business line's data analytics fraud strategy. This may include recommending and developing of related programs for the business line.
- Identifies data analytics opportunities through exploratory data analysis (EDA). Designs, and executes scalable, fault tolerant ETL utilizing the department's various computer software packages within established deadlines.
- Perform data mining, relating, modeling, profiling, and feature engineering of complex, noisy and large data sources.
- Develops data mapping and transformation rules and detailed designs based on system and business requirements. Creates, prepares, and documents detailed specifications of the information systems utilized to extract data.
- Analyze the effectiveness of existing fraud models and oversee the design, development, and management of new fraud rules and models.
- Analyzes and recommends business, technology, and process improvement opportunities. Utilize automation tools to schedule, execute and monitor.
- Maintain the quality control and auditing of source data to ensure the accuracy and quality of data.
- Work with cross-functional teams to develop, implement and maintain effective risk management programs to align with the business needs. Identify and quantify levers to help move key metrics. Recommend which product features to build and why. Use experimentation to measure the impact of our initiatives, features, & rules.
- Develop automated key performance dashboards.
- Work with technical and non-technical stakeholders to enhance analysis with subject matter expertise. Develop visuals and presentations that “tell the story of the data” and conceptualize complex data science techniques in layman’s terms.
- Makes recommendations to management for improvements to based-on data trends.
Other Job Duties
• Support senior data analysts on strategic fraud prevention projects.
• Participate in integration task forces for strategic projects
- Understand and applies project management techniques in managing work efforts
• Performs other duties as assigned.
- Basic knowledge of the fraud management life cycle and industry trends.
- Some experience in developing fraud models from inception to business impact
- 5+ years of directly related experience in statistics, information security, financial services, information technology, or data analytics for bachelors and master’s degree respectively.
- Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative field (Math, Economics, Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering)
- Communicates effectively with diverse groups and individuals. Clearly conveys information and ideas and listens and responds appropriately to customers, external contacts and individuals throughout BOTW.
- Develops open, considerate, effective and productive working relationships with customers, external contacts and individuals throughout BOTW.
- Draws information and broad knowledge to make timely and logical decision that provides practical solutions for customers and others.
- Possesses managerial interest and a leadership orientation.
- A problem-solving mindset and a willingness to step outside your lane when needed
- Demonstrates a strong sense of urgency and is able to work in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment with a strong focus on fraud risk mitigation and customer experience.
- Ability to adjust to rapidly changing fraud environment and prioritize deliverables.
- Experience cleansing data and developing features, dealing with poorly structured or incomplete data and enhancing data with outside sources
- Good knowledge of SQL/ SAS structured query language. Understanding of various statistical techniques and experimentation analysis workflows. Knowledge of programming skills such as Python, R, machine learning techniques and other scripting and statistical tools
- Some knowledge of security or fraud incident and case management platforms
- Basic understanding of financial industry, FinTech, risk management, fraud, and/or information security.
Working Location Statement
This position has the option to work in one of our key hubs (Tempe, AZ, Omaha, NE)
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.