At Bank of the West, our people are having a positive impact on the world. We’re investing where we feel we can make the most impact, like advancing diversity and women entrepreneurship programs, financing for more small businesses, and promoting programs for sustainable energy. From our locations across the U.S., Bank of the West is taking action to help protect the planet, improve people’s lives, and strengthen communities. We are part of BNP Paribas, a global leader supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Yes, we’re a bank, but as the bank for a changing world, we are continually seeking to improve the ways we help our customers, while contributing to more sustainable and equitable growth.
Job Description Summary
Responsible for contributing to credit portfolio quality and processing of requests for credit extension with extensive focus on credit relationship, portfolio management and credit underwriting activities with the Relationship Management Team.
Partnering with senior team members, the incumbent is responsible for providing detailed analysis of financial statements and projections and for preparing clean transaction marketing materials.
The incumbent may interface directly with borrowers and participating banks, attend client and prospect meetings, and prepare more complex credit analysis.
The incumbent must possess strong communication skills and frequently interacts with Relationship Managers, Credit Product Officers, Commercial & Corporate Bank Loan servicing, Operations, Legal and other personnel to obtain documentation or assist with loan closing and loan maintenance.
This is a Commercial & Corporate Bank sales professional entry-level role and provides individuals the opportunity to grow the skill set required for a career in relationship management or credit products.
Essential Job Functions
Other Job Duties
Supports unit's growth and profitability by producing qualitative financial reviews for transactions.
Determines optimal transaction structure by analyzing credits, including financial statement spreading analysis and cash flow projections to.
Proactively manages transaction process from pitch to closing; assists with the preparation of term sheets and monitors ongoing transactions to ensure proper documentation for loan closing.
Establishes transaction data rooms and populates with offering materials, collateral documents, and credit documents.
Attends client and team meetings and assists in determination of client needs.
Assists Senior Officers with the completion of marketing materials and other tasks as needed, providing timely, error-free analysis and review as applicable.
Interacts with Relationship Managers, Credit Product Officers, Commercial & Corporate Loan Servicing, Legal, and other related Bank personnel regarding issues of credit quality, appropriate structure, as well as new business and related trends.
Manages the risk of complex financial products and transactions.
- Views credit quality as a personal obligation; exhibits independent judgment; ensures balanced loan presentations; responsible for on-going account monitoring; proactive in problem detection/resolution; contributes to maintaining balance between growth and credit quality.
- Provides support to the Regional and Division managers for special projects and reporting tasks. Such special projects may include transaction comparable analysis, in-market credit lists, portfolio analysis, presentations for senior bank management and the creation of excel based underwriting tools.
- When applicable, interfaces directly with borrowers to obtain financial information and review financial information directly and assists in review of credit requests.
- Prepares and updates reports as necessary.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Preferred Experience: Education
- Requires advanced knowledge of job area typically obtained through advanced education combined with experience.
- May have practical knowledge of project management.
- Requires 5 years minimum prior relevant experience.
- Bachelor's Degree Business or Finance
- General Administrative/Technical Skills Proficient knowledge of commercial lending policies, procedures, practices and documentation.
- Proficient knowledge and ability to analyze financial statements, tax returns and cash flow.
- Proficient working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel). Proficient working knowledge of other software used for analysis such as MFA and Tax Analysis.
- Proficient written and verbal communication.
- Ability to perform independently with a minimum of supervision.
- Good organizational skills.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.
Primary Location: United States-California-San FranciscoJob Type: Full-timeJob: Business / Commercial Banking