At Bank of the West, our people are having a positive impact on the world. We’re investing where we feel we can make the most impact, like advancing diversity and women entrepreneurship programs, financing for more small businesses, and promoting programs for sustainable energy. From our locations across the U.S., Bank of the West is taking action to help protect the planet, improve people’s lives, and strengthen communities. We are part of BNP Paribas, a global leader supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Yes, we’re a bank, but as the bank for a changing world, we are continually seeking to improve the ways we help our customers, while contributing to more sustainable and equitable growth.
Job Description Summary
Responsible for managing the efficient execution of centralized compliance functions and practices at the group or corporate level. Identifies and remains abreast of laws, regulations and regulatory guidance related to a specific regulation (i.e., AML, OFAC, Fair Lending, or other Banking regulation). Ensures centralized operational practices are accurately documented in procedures to transparently demonstrate satisfaction of compliance rules. This includes monitoring the compliance control process, all while ensuring that the business activities are performed in accordance with applicable laws, regulations and best practices.
Essential Job Functions
- Supports operational business unit leaders and functions in the management and execution of activities related to operational, compliance and enterprise risk management programs and efficiency of business unit internal controls. Includes independent testing, documentation, objective evaluation, verbal discussion and reporting
- Role scope spans all aspects of risk management framework including, but not limited to, risk control self-assessment (RCSA/RCRA), issue self-identification, business continuity management, third party management, control environment, governance documents (policies/procedures), key risk indicators, information security, cyber security, internal fraud, external fraud, audit management, exam management, data management and access management
- Participates in and helps prepare as requested for committees and work groups to identify, research, and report issues to the committee to resolve as appropriate including, but not limited to, the Internal Control Committee (ICC) and New Activities Committee (NAC)
- Maintains current knowledge of related banking activities, and operational risk management and regulatory compliance requirements for financial institutions; Attends professional seminars and participates in Bank operational risk management and regulatory compliance forums
- Maintains process documentation and tools for execution of responsibilities
- Visibly and consistently demonstrating behaviors and standards which promote the desired risk culture of the firm
- Manages a team of staff responsible for similar activities.
- Monitors and tracks recommendations for enhancements to policies, processes, procedures or controls from external examinations, internal audits or compliance testing.
- Leads and provides subject matter guidance to implement changes to polices, processes, procedures or controls.
Other Job Duties
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Requires broad management knowledge to lead a team in one department.
- Relevant Risk, Compliance, and First Line of Defense experience.
- Typically has mastery level knowledge and skills within a specific technical or professional discipline with broad understanding of other areas within the job function.
- Requires 10-12 years minimum prior relevant experience.
Prior experience authoring written materials on complex risk management and compliance issues to senior management and board committees within short timeframes
Demonstrated ability addressing competing risk management priorities that are complex in nature
Ability to learn details to achieve goals of a timely and quality work product for oneself and team in a fast pace and evolving environment
Strong organizational skills, completed with clear verbal and written communication
First line of defense experience interacting with varying second line of defense teams
Demonstrated skill handling escalations and influencing change
- Bachelor's Degree (Business or Finance)
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.