At Bank of the West, our people are having a positive impact on the world. We’re investing where we feel we can make the most impact, like advancing diversity and women entrepreneurship programs, financing for more small businesses, and promoting programs for sustainable energy. From our locations across the U.S., Bank of the West is taking action to help protect the planet, improve people’s lives, and strengthen communities. We are part of BNP Paribas, a global leader supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Yes, we’re a bank, but as the bank for a changing world, we are continually seeking to improve the ways we help our customers, while contributing to more sustainable and equitable growth.
Job Description Summary
Responsible for managing an independent Level1 Control department within a line of business. Ensures Level 1 Controls related to Regulatory and Operational Risks within the line of business are defined and executed. Coordinates with the different internal control streams to foster best practices in the line of business and to avoid loopholes or overlaps. Assists Small & Medium Enterprises with commercial lending risk assessments, projects, and corrective action plan management. Responsible for reporting emerging compliance and operational risks, as well as control gaps/breakdowns to management.
Essential Job Functions
- Ensures the line of business complies with the Bank's Integrated Operational Risk Framework and/or industry best practices as it relates to: Policies and procedures Level 1 Controls Methodologies for a permanent control framework in the line of business Coordination with different bank compliance and internal control streams Line of business entity and unit level compliance and operations control assessments
- Directs and monitors the daily, weekly, monthly, annual and periodic activities associated with an independent Level 1 Control function. Ensures activities are performed accurately, thoroughly, and in accordance with regulatory, the Bank's Framework, and/or industry best practices timeframes.
- Acts as the line of business subject matter expert on Level 1 Controls. Is knowledgeable about industry best practices and systems.
Other Job Duties
- Prepares and distributes regular/special management reports on regulatory and operational risk compliance and the department's activities. Compiles data for analysis or dashboards. Maintains current knowledge of operational risk management and regulatory compliance requirements for financial institutions. Attends professional seminars and participates in Bank and industry operational risk management and regulatory compliance practitioner groups.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Requires mastery level knowledge of job area typically obtained through advanced education combined with experience.
- May have deep knowledge of project management.
- Requires 10 years minimum prior relevant experience.
- Thorough knowledge of banking operational risk management and industry practices
- Thorough knowledge of banking and related laws and regulations
- Thorough knowledge of bank operations activities, from both a branch and centralized function aspect
- Experience in developing, writing, and communicating policies and procedures
To protect the health and safety of our employees and customers, Bank of the West may require all U.S. employees to provide proof of their vaccination status, and employees who are not fully vaccinated may be required to undergo regular testing.
Annual Hiring Range/Hourly Rate:
The base salary opportunity can vary based on candidate’s geographic location, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities. In addition to base salary, this position is eligible for “fill in the frequency here” incentives.
Benefits: Visit https://www.bankofthewest.com/about-us/careers/benefits.html for benefits information.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.