In Asia Pacific, BNP Paribas is one of the best-positioned international financial institutions with an uninterrupted presence since 1860. Currently with over 18,000 employees* and a presence in 13 markets, BNP Paribas provides corporates, institutional and private investors with product and service solutions tailored to their specific needs. It offers a wide range of financial services covering corporate & institutional banking, wealth management, asset management, insurance, as well as retail banking and consumer financing through strategic partnerships. .
Worldwide, BNP Paribas has a presence in 68 markets with more than 193,000 employees. It has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. Asia Pacific is a key strategic region for BNP Paribas and it continues to develop its franchise in the region.
* excluding partnerships
At BNP Paribas, we passionately embrace diversity and are committed to fostering an inclusive workplace where all employees are valued, respected and can bring their authentic selves to work. We prohibit Discrimination and Harassment of any kind and our policies promote equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants, irrespective of, but not limited to their gender, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, ethnicity, race, colour, national origin, age, religion, social status, mental or physical disabilities, veteran status etc. As a global Bank, we truly believe that inclusion and diversity of our teams is key to our success in serving our clients and the communities we operate in.
The Market Integrity (MI) APAC has various operating units, namely Control Room, Monitoring and Surveillance, Independent testing and Risk Assessment, Governance/Framework, Norms Procedures & Advisory and Regulatory reviews. MI and Financial Market (FM) compliance (“MI/FM”) teams are located across different APAC countries with the hubs in Singapore, Hong Kong and Japan with India supporting as an outsourced unit for various monitoring and surveillance functions.
MI APAC Monitoring and Surveillance (M&S) teams located in Hong Kong perform monitoring and surveillance function on CIB (Global Markets, ALMT, and Securities Services (BP2S)) businesses within APAC.
The Monitoring and Surveillance Compliance Officers are primarily responsible for reviews on existing Surveillance scenarios, conducting in depth investigations on trading activity and patterns, and refining and implementing trade surveillance scenarios in accordance with and in anticipation of regulatory expectations and remediation plans.
Additionally the Monitoring and Surveillance Compliance Officers are responsible for working with Business Management, Compliance Advisory, Global Counterparts and IT to monitor for potential market abuse activity, regulatory violations, market manipulation, or suspicious activity. The Market Integrity (MI) APAC Monitoring and Surveillance teams proactively stay abreast of regulatory initiatives in the industry and potential risks to the Bank in order to assess areas to expand or improve surveillance models or reviews. The Market Integrity (MI) APAC Monitoring and Surveillance teams play a critical role in working with the front (1st line of Defense) and supporting areas to perform investigations, when necessary, and to determine and coordinate corrective action. This position will assist in operationalizing the implementation plans to support undertakings made to various regulators specifically regarding the continuing evolution and enhancements of the Bank’s surveillance program across all asset classes.
The Market Integrity (MI) APAC Monitoring and Surveillance team are located in Hong Kong with India supporting as an outsourced unit and local compliance officers in the respective smaller countries in APAC. This position is based in HK.
• Actively participate to the day-to-day activities of all monitoring and surveillance teams in APAC, which include, amongst others, Actimize and SMARTS trade surveillance, and scenario reviews within the MI APAC M&S teams
• Analyze transaction activity detected, document findings, provide written explanations to the transaction detail, and conduct investigations into any issue that may arise during the course of analysis
• Collaborate with 1LOD teams in all market abuse surveillance related activity to ensure adequate support and coverage across relevant business lines.
• Interact with Front Office Salespeople, Traders, Supervisors and Compliance Advisory staff so that an appropriate resolution may be achieved and communicate issues in a proactive manner
• Raise matters of importance to Departmental Management for discussion, participate in Team meetings, conduct investigations into potentially violation and/or suspicious activity
• Escalate potentially serious issues and exception items noted during the review process to Management for discussion and further investigation if deemed necessary
• Assist with the development of new surveillances to cover new risk priorities
• Work on regional surveillance projects including system UAT, new models discussion, or system development
• Conduct or assist with ad-hoc investigations
• Assist with IG/Internal Audit and ad hoc regulatory requests
Technical & Behavioral Competencies
• University graduate with major in Finance or Law or equivalent qualification
• At least 3-5 years’ compliance / middle office experience, experience in monitoring and surveillance is preferred
• Experience or specialization in an asset class such as Equities / Equities Derivatives / FI / FX
• Knowledge of APAC market regulations
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including writing, with the ability to interact effectively with front and back office staff and senior management
• High attention to details
• Strong analytical and investigative skills
• Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and work under tight deadlines
• Proactive in identifying risks and proposing solutions
• Experience with surveillance and case management systems, such as NICE Actimize and SMARTS highly desirable
• Strong computer skills including MS Office Suite; Excel, Bloomberg
• Proficent in Chinese and English