At Bank of the West, our people are having a positive impact on the world. We’re investing where we feel we can make the most impact, like advancing diversity and women entrepreneurship programs, financing for more small businesses, and promoting programs for sustainable energy. From our locations across the U.S., Bank of the West is taking action to help protect the planet, improve people’s lives, and strengthen communities. We are part of BNP Paribas, a global leader supporting the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Yes, we’re a bank, but as the bank for a changing world, we are continually seeking to improve the ways we help our customers, while contributing to more sustainable and equitable growth.
Job Description Summary
Responsible for leading and coordinating the Bank's Ethics and Conduct Program to promote its culture of ethical conduct. Ambassador and leading spokesperson on the importance of maintaining a strong ethical, compliance-based corporate culture. Provides guidance, oversight and expert advice to ensure that business decisions and operations are conducted in a manner that complies with our high ethical standards, enhances our culture, and preserves our reputation in the marketplace.
Essential Job Functions
- Establish the Bank’s Ethics and Conduct Program to enhance the organization’s ethical business culture
- Develop and manage policies and procedures addressing ethical business conduct. Maintain, enhance, and proactively provide advice on compliance with the Bank’s Code of Conduct
- Develop and lead education, awareness, outreach and communication of ethical principles and core values to the Bank’s diverse workforce
- Establish and oversee channels for employees to report or escalate concerns of ethical conduct violations. Ensure the appropriate investigation of alleged ethical conduct violations and other significant issues, as appropriate, in collaboration with appropriate functional areas (ex: Human Resources, Legal, and Corporate Security)
- Collaborate with senior leadership to integrate ethics into the overall business and recommend strategies (training, communication, etc.) to reinforce proper business conduct
- Facilitating the implementation of and adherence to the Bank’s Code of Conduct, including fostering a culture of integrity and ethical behavior
- Supporting Risk and Compliance in overseeing investigations of complaints or alleged non-compliance brought forward by employees or other third parties, including whistleblower reports and complaints regarding unethical behavio
- Assisting in overseeing compliance programs with respect to compliance with laws including, but not limited to, those applicable to data privacy protection, gifts & entertainment
Other Job Duties
- Monitor and assess effectiveness of the company’s ethics program and reporting processes; recommend and implement methods to improve program effectiveness
- Set the tone of high expectations within the bank as relates to ethics and conduct. The goal is to maintain an ethics and conduct function that reflects the bank’s commitment to building and fostering trust
- Coordinating and collaborating with groups and functions throughout the Bank. Specifically, with the Office of General Counsel to ensure compliance with all laws and requirements and on difficult legal issues
- Develop ethics program metrics and benchmarking; conduct measurement and analysis on trends and issue. Assist with evaluation of employee engagement survey results with a view to ethical culture
- Report regularly to the Bank’s Executive Management Committee and its Board of Directors
- Requires minimum 15 years of experience in ethics, conduct, compliance, legal or related role within the financial services or similar industry
- Extensive knowledge of standards of ethical conduct and related programs applicable to organizations
- Bachelor's Degree Business, Compliance, Legal or another related field
- 15 yrs ethics, conduct, compliance, legal or related role within the financial services or similar industry
- Ability to understand corporate objectives and operate in a highly-matrixed environment to oversee and implement effective programs that are consistent with those objectives
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent judgment and the knowledge and ability to involve and keep key stakeholders and/or senior management appropriately informed
- Proactive in identifying risks and proposing creative solutions
- Demonstrate ability to appropriately exercise judgment and decision-making in a collaborative environment
- Knowledge of the conduct of investigations, including evidence gathering and case management
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.