The ITO Tax Operations Group is responsible for establishing operational procedures and controls to comply with IRS regulations regarding US information reporting (i.e. 1099 and 1042S reporting). Tax Operations is responsible for maintaining tax documentation (i.e. W-8's and W-9's), withholding and remitting taxes to the IRS, and generating 1099 and 1042s reporting to clients and the IRS. The group collaborates with US Corporate Tax to assess the impact of new tax legislation and requirements, and engages with cross-functional resources to develop plans to respond and/or comply with new regulations. To the extent a new business process is required, Tax Operations develops business requirements and ensures local IT and operational procedures are enhanced to support new regulations. In addition, Tax Operations supports cost basis, transfer reporting and corporate action events by managing client data in the GENEVA portfolio accounting system.
*Physical presence in BNPP’s office(s) is an essential function of this position. BNPP requires all of our employees to be vaccinated in order to access its offices, subject to reasonable accommodations for reasons related to disability or religion.
Candidate Success Factors:
Candidates to be measured on the following four performance drivers, which will dictate how individual impact is considered on the Americas platform:
- Results and Impact
- Impacts division and influences peers and team
- Demonstrates good judgement when making decisions of high complexity and impact
- Relies on limited guidance for most complex decision making
- Is responsible for driving outcomes which have meaningful effect on team or department
- Leadership and Collaboration
- Creates trust with department leaders
- Acts in leadership capacity for large projects, processes, or programs for a team
- Client, Customer and Stakeholder Focus
- Able to build relationships with a mix of intermediate and senior colleagues or clients
- Interacts regularly with management and department leaders
- Demonstrates the ability to persuade and influence stakeholders at the team level
- Compliance Culture and Conduct
- Takes full responsibility for personal actions and demonstrates courage in facing problems and conflicts
- Perceived as a person of high moral character; upholds corporate values and displays high ethical standards”
- Confirm accurate tax treatment of corporate action events utilizing third party vendor resources (CCH) assessing the material impact for cost basis tracking and reporting
- Daily management of cost basis application for all corporate action events based on tax treatment
- Management of monthly 1099-B reconciliation for all reportable transactions
- Analysis of written tax policy and procedures, and management of procedural enhancements
- Outline clearly defined and articulated testing plan for year-end reporting
- Coordinate with Business on problem resolution issues regarding cost basis, taxability and reporting
- Supervise and assist with transfer reporting process with brokers and Agents via CBRS or paper statements (sending and receiving
- Identify and remediate cash breaks to assist with daily client P/L report production
- Assist with generation of statements for all incoming positions
- Management of daily/weekly/annual controls
- Support year-end cost basis reconciliation
- Adjust portfolio accounting system to reflect reclassification of income
- Assist with analysis of all transfer bookings between books and records vs cost basis application
- Supporting cross training initiatives by training employees within US Tax Operations, and by supporting year end check out processes associated with income reclassification and tax form production
- Support cost basis related projects by coordination with stakeholders and business leaders
- Identify process enhancements and systems deficiencies
- Contribution towards departmental obligations to adhere to strict regulatory and compliance requirements, per IRS and BNP Paribas policy.
- Support of IRS and internal audits
Minimum Required Qualifications
- BA required
- 5 - 7 years tax reporting in banking and prime brokerage
- Strong knowledge of tax lot accounting and Corporate Actions processing
- Subject Matter Expert on cost basis regulations
- Experience in the development and deployment of reporting systems / tools
- High Proficiency in standard Microsoft applications, including the ability to utilize advanced formulas and tools in Excel
- Knowledge of Geneva or related cost basis tracking applications
- Effective analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills
- Equally able to work independently and as a contributing member of a team to fulfill objectives
- Detail oriented with strong analytical, problem solving, and organizational skills
- Ability to:
- Perform multiple tasks under pressure, and meet established deadlines in a fast paced work environment with minimal supervision
- Delegate work and monitor fulfillment
- Proactive, solutions-oriented mindset, with focus on client service
- Well-developed written and verbal communication skills
- Understanding of system requirements and capabilities to ensure appropriate controls and processes, and the ability to coordinate with internal IT stakeholders regarding systems developments, enhancements, and data extracts
- Understanding and expert knowledge of IRS Forms W-9 and W-8 and their associated requirements; Forms 1099 series, 1042-S; Forms 945 and 1042
- Knowledge of Broadridge systems/products such as BPS, TMS (Tax Managed Services) and TDS (Tax Data Solutions), or similar settlement and reporting systems
- Proven track record of contributing to team oriented tasks and strategies, with the ability to identify client driven enhancements
- Control orientated mindset
- Ability to perform multiple tasks and meet established deadlines in a fast pace work environment with minimal supervision.
FINRA Registrations Required: Candidates with FINRA licenses (Series 7, 63) are encouraged to apply, although FINRA licenses are not required for employment.
CFTC Swap Dealer Associated Person (if yes, NFA Swaps Proficiency Program is required):N/A
SEC Security-Based Swap Dealer Associated Person:
About BNP Paribas:
In the United States, BNP Paribas has built a strong and diversified presence to support its client base. We continue to grow and strengthen our commitment to the US market through our Corporate & Institutional Banking activities. We are one of a few non-US banks to offer a full value chain for our clients, from trading to financing, and clearing and custody in the US with the international footprint and capacity to deliver both globally and locally. Leveraging the strength of our European roots, our network can support clients in virtually every region of the world, enabling more connectivity and efficiency wherever our clients conduct business.
BNP Paribas’ Corporate & Institutional Banking services corporate clients and institutional investors offering tailored solutions in financing, cash management, and advisory services to companies via Corporate Banking, in capital markets via Global Markets, and in securities custody and administration via Securities Services. As the asset management arm of BNP Paribas, BNP Paribas Asset Management offers high value-added solutions to individual savers, companies, and institutional investors.
The bank employs nearly 14,000 people and has a presence in the country since the late 1800s in major cities including New York, Jersey City, Chesterbrook, PA, San Francisco, Boston, Chicago, Denver and Washington, DC.
BNP Paribas is a leading bank in Europe with an international reach across the US, EMEA and APAC. It has a presence in 68 countries, with more than 193,000 employees. The Bank offers a comprehensive range of banking, investment and financial services solutions through three main fields of activity: Retail Banking for the Bank’s retail-banking networks and several specialized businesses including BNP Paribas Personal Finance and Arval; Investment & Protection Services for savings, investment and protection solutions; and Corporate & Institutional Banking, focused on corporate and institutional clients. Based on its strong diversified and integrated model, BNP Paribas helps all its clients (individuals, community associations, entrepreneurs, SMEs, corporates and institutional clients) to realize their projects through solutions spanning financing, investment, savings and protection insurance.
We take pride in our expertise and our ability to adapt while constantly looking ahead to create a more sustainable world.
BNP Paribas. The Bank for a Changing World.
BNP Paribas is committed to providing a work environment that fosters diversity, inclusion, and equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, gender, age, creed, sex, religion, national origin, disability (physical or mental), marital status, citizenship, ancestry, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression, or any other legally protected status.