In a changing world, unprecedented challenges require unmatched talent. Join one of Montreal's Top Employers in 2023. We are a dynamic and growing organization having its main establishment located in downtown Montreal and part of a leading international banking institution fully committed to building a more sustainable future. Note that the position may be in the Canadian Branch of BNP Paribas or in one of its subsidiaries based in Montreal.
The position at a glance
What about applying for a job that is consequential and contributing to making the world a safer and better place? What about being on the front line of the anti-financial crime fight? Are you interested in joining a new team in AML and Control Framework?
BNPP Group has transferred part of AML activities from Compliance to 1LOD to reinforce AML risk culture within the Business and to strengthen the Group AML framework efficiency. Within CIB North America, it means AML L1 alert investigation function is now hosted by USD Clearing and Payments and a new team of investigators was created in Montreal in June 2022.
USD Clearing & Payments Montreal is already the CIB North America team responsible for reviewing Sanctions alerts level 1 and 2 and managing sanctions filters and logics. USD Clearing and Payments has recently been featured as one of the most innovative team with the launch of AI models for sanctions.
As AML Level 1 Investigator, you are expected to perform a thorough review of transactions and parties (or a sample of transactions depending on the number of parties at stake) that generated each suspicious activity alerts. This consist in:
•Determining if transactions reviewed seem legitimate and economically sound
•Identifying the parties – their existence, business purpose, geographical location, services provided by BNPP and expected transactional behavior …
•Understanding relationships between parties at stake
•Determining if the alert, including all triggers, can rationally be explained.
Parties and transactions analysis are completed by the AML L1 investigator using internal KYC records, external searches via reputable sources, Request for Information (‘RFI’) to internal stakeholders and/or leveraging on prior alerts and prior case investigations (if any).
•Reviewing any additional red flags such as negative news on a party by running parties in Worldcheck.
Finally concluding on each alert (either closing the alert as not suspicious, or escalating the alert to Compliance for further investigation) and saving the supporting evidence in Actimize.
To be successful, you primarily need an investigative mindset and a good understanding of AML Red Flags for the businesses of BNPP. You will learn to master the BNPP AML policies/procedures, understand Actimize scenarios and have a very good understanding of BNPP Group products. You will need to have a good command of Excel and investigation tools, and be open to changes toward more and more technology-assisted investigations.
In this role, you will see a direct link between geopolitical tensions and your work. You will actively contribute in the fight against money laundering, terrorism financing, human trafficking, and tax evasion. Your work will matter.
Candidate Success Factors:
Candidates will be measured on the following four performance drivers, which will dictate how individual impact is considered on the Americas platform:
- Results and Impact
- Leadership and Collaboration
- Client, Customer and Stakeholder Focus
- Compliance Culture and Conduct
- Research, analyze, and investigate potentially suspicious Anti-Money Laundering/Counter Terrorist Financing (AML/CTF) activity based on a variety of AML Systems generated alerts from Corporate, Institutional, and Correspondent Banking transactional activity. As necessary, use available research tools (public internet sources as well as third party sites) to identify information concerning transactions warranting further investigation as a case.
- Request additional information by contacting various compliance or business personnel throughout the organization to determine if facts and circumstances surrounding unusual transactions warrant closure of the investigation as not suspicious or if escalation for further investigation is warranted.
- Prepare reports using Excel to display transaction flow of payments and/or other payment activities.
- Create and document comprehensive investigation files which must be completed and self-contained so that readers (law enforcement, examiners, audit, management) can clearly determine why the investigation was started, how it was carried out, and why the conclusion that was/is recommended was/is being made;
- Continuous monitoring of the open alerts in Actimize until a determination can be made to close or escalate to L2 in a timely manner;
- Maintain a good understanding of BSA/AML regulations and FinCEN guidelines relative to Suspicious Activity Monitoring and Reporting as well as current money laundering/terrorist financing schemes and risk typologies, and investigative techniques required to detect such schemes and typologies.
The strengths and skills that will help you succeed
- Skills and expertise
- Financial Security - Strong knowledge of AML/ KYC, U.S.A. PATRIOT Act, Bank Secrecy Act
- Tax Evasion Prevention
- Know Your Client - KYC
- Behavioral skills
- Critical thinking
- Attention to Detail/Rigor
- Organization Skills
- Communication Skills- oral & written
- Ability to Deliver/Result driven
- Methodologies, tools and technologies:
- Strong computer skills including MS Office Suite.
- Knowledge of Actimize, GCARS, CRDS, RMPM, Worldcheck, LexisNexis, Orbis is a Plus
- Experience level
- 1+ years of experience with a financial services firm and/or regulatory organization in an AML compliance, audit, or regulatory related position,
- We will also consider candidates without experience but the right mindset.
Knowledge of the English is required.
- BA or BS Degree accounting, finance, legal, economics or related discipline is preferred.
- CAMS Certified a plus
FINRA Registrations Required: N/A
What’s in it for you
In addition to competitive compensation, we offer flexible benefits including a family and spouse insurance program, a defined contribution pension plan and paid days for volunteering. Hybrid work arrangements, such as remote working up to 50% and flexible working hours are available for most positions. BNP Paribas provides excellent training and personal development programs, as well as opportunities for career development within the company and internationally.
To find out more about our range of benefits, click here
What you need to know
- We will review candidates as they apply, so don’t wait to submit your application;
- If you are selected to participate in the recruitment process, please inform Human Resources of any accommodations you may require. BNP Paribas will work with you to ensure that you are able to participate fully in the process;
- You must be legally eligible to work in the Greater Montreal area and, if applicable, hold a valid work or study permit. Physical presence in BNP Paribas’ office(s) is an essential function of this position;
- Given the vast majority of our clients, both internal and external, are based outside of Quebec and Canada, specific language requirements may apply. These will be clearly mentioned in the qualifications of the position;
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) at the heart of our commitments
At BNP Paribas all employees are on an equal footing allowing us to create a work environment that values and respects people for their talents, skills and competences.
BNP Paribas recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, disability, age, and other protected status (Employment Equity Act and Canadian Human Right Act).
To learn more about our DE&I commitments, click here
BNP Paribas is the top bank in the European Union and a major international banking establishment. Present in 65 countries, with more than 190,000 employees, the bank holds key positions in several areas of banking and financial services.
BNP Paribas’ mission is to contribute to a responsible and sustainable economy by financing and advising its clients according to the highest ethical standards, while striving to respond to essential concerns in terms of the environment, regional development and social inclusion.
Since 1961, BNP Paribas has supported large Canadian companies and institutions in their business development by offering a full range of specialized financial services and investment products.
With over 1,200 employees, BNP Paribas in Canada continues to attract experts from diverse fields as well as ambitious young talent from around the world. We are proud to offer our employees a rewarding and international workplace where they can build their professional careers by honing their skills, meeting challenges and enriching their knowledge of the financial industry.
Our certifications and partnerships
- Montreal Top Employer 2023
- Canada's Best Diversity Employer 2023
- Women in Governance – Parity certified - Gold certification
- CCDI Consulting Inc. (Canadian Center for Diversity and Inclusion)
- Pride at Work Canada
- Rainbow Accreditation issued by Canada’s LGBT+ Chamber of Commerce (CGLCC)
- ROSEPH – Grouping of specialized organizations for the employment of persons with disabilities
- Part of Les Affaires top 300 companies in Quebec
Do you want to discover other BNP Paribas offers in Canada?
Click here: BNP Paribas in Canada Our job offers
** Only selected applications that meet the requirements of the role will be contacted **