What sets Bank of the West apart from other banks is our team members–they embody the optimistic spirit of the West. There is a spirit here that drives us to do more. Our team of more than 10,000 employees is vital to the success of our Bank. They reflect our modern western values—straightforward, entrepreneurial and optimistic. We seek to create a corporate culture that fosters and rewards excellence, encourages creative thinking and respects diversity – an environment where team members are engaged, supportive of one another and enthusiastic about serving our customers. Bank of the West offers the stability of a company that has a 135 year history and is part of BNP Paribas, a European leader in global banking and financial services and one of the 6 strongest banks in the world. We offer opportunities across our diverse business lines – Retail Banking, Commercial Banking, National Finance, and Wealth Management.
Specialized Accounting Operations is part of the Financial Controller’s group that is leading centralization of accounting functions throughout the bank. This diverse collection of corporate accounting responsibilities includes consumer banking as well as corporate functions, enabling our team members to gain a broad view of the financial functions of the bank while partnering with many of our internal customers. Critical thinking, creativity, communication and a strong knowledge of GAAP and financial controls are important as we continue to streamline processes.Job Description Summary
Under general supervision, conducts and participates in financial accounting control examination, review and testing by the Accounting Controls Division; completes special projects and performs related duties as assigned. Plays a critical role within the Bank, ensuring a solid internal controls framework exists and is designed and operating effectively. Accounting department's work is leveraged by external auditors, on an annual basis, as they conduct the FDICIA audit.Essential Job Functions
Other Job Duties
- Ensures performance of independent and objective evaluations of the adequacy, effectiveness and efficiency of the bank’s internal controls, disclosure controls, and operating systems in area(s) of responsibility.
- Performs examinations of manual journal entries, general ledger tickets, account reconciliations certifications, suspense accounts and certain specific bank activities or transactions to determine whether controls were appropriately followed, supporting documentation adequate, and posting correct.
- Responsible for recognizing potential issues in business practices and accounting that can be determined through examination work and effectively communicating findings to Accounting Policies and Internal Control department. Responsible for understanding emerging issues and proactively working with business units and other Controller Department teams to proactively adapt the bank’s policies to address as needed.
- Participates in complex functional examination processes that consists of: assessment of risk and exposure associated with bank activities in the area(s) of control examination responsibility; planning, design, performance, documentation, supervision and review of examination work; reporting of the results of examination work; and d. monitoring and verification of management’s resolution of examination findings.
- Performs special studies and evaluations of bank activities as directed.
- Ensures compliance with changes in control examination requirements as a result of regulation or BNPP requirements.
- Prepares documentation and analysis to support accounting policy issue review.
- Identifies opportunities to streamline compliance activities and make them a seamless part of operations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Requires advanced knowledge of job area typically obtained through advanced education combined with experience.
- May have practical knowledge of project management.
- Requires 5 years minimum prior relevant experience.
- Bachelor's Degree Accounting, Business with an Accounting Concentration
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
- Conducts work with high degree of independence, managing conflicting deadlines and priorities as assigned. Quickly adapts to changing priorities, managing and clearly communicating deadline risks as new tasks and projects arise.
- Solid working knowledge of US GAAP and Financial Industry policies and practices within the Financial Industry.
- Ability to act and operate independently with minimal daily direction from manager to accomplish objectives Experience in evaluating and implementing financial reporting controls Working knowledge of bank operations and information systems Analytical and research skills Negotiation skills Presentation skills.
- Understanding of GAAP.
- Understanding of COSO 2013 requirements.
- Understanding of internal controls and associated risks.
- Excellent communication skills; both written and orally.
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.
Primary Location: United States-Arizona-TempeJob Type: Full-timeJob: Accounting Finance