United States-California-San Francisco
Bank of the West team members embody the optimistic spirit of the West. There is a spirit here that drives us to do more. Our team of more than 10,000 employees is vital to the success of our Bank. They reflect our modern western values – straightforward, entrepreneurial and optimistic. Our team members seek to create a corporate culture that fosters and rewards excellence, encourages creative thinking and respects diversity – an environment where team members are engaged, supportive of one another and enthusiastic about serving our customers. Bank of the West offers the stability of a company that has a 135-year history and is part of BNP Paribas, a European leader in global banking and financial services and one of the six strongest banks in the world. We offer opportunities across our diverse business lines – Retail Banking, Commercial Banking, National Finance, and Wealth Management
The Legal Department is currently seeking a qualified, motivated paralegal to support the Bank’s in-house attorneys in responding to employment related demand letters, agency charges, claims and lawsuits, and defending and prosecuting other actions on behalf of the Bank. This paralegal will assist primarily in the ongoing management of employment related demand letters, agency charges, claims and lawsuits, but will also provide assistance with other claims and litigation, working closely with one of the Bank’s in-house attorneys and, in some instances, with outside counsel.
Working under the supervision of the Bank’s in-house attorneys:
1. Reviews and analyzes employment-related demand letters, agency charges, claims and lawsuits, conducts factual investigations, and undertakes legal research;
2. Assists with file set-up and file and case management;
3. Identifies, gathers and preserves information relevant to demand letters, agency charges, claims and litigation, including through drafting and issuing legal hold notices, tendering of insurance claims, and communicating with Bank personnel and, in some cases, outside counsel;
4. Identifies and communicates with Bank employees who possess relevant information;
5. Works with the Bank’s Enterprise Information Security team to identify electronically-stored information and ensure preservation and collection of such information;
6. Works directly with the Bank’s in-house attorneys, and in some instances with outside counsel and/or Human Resource personnel, to develop legal hold memos, create custodian lists, and respond to discovery requests, including through the collection, review, analysis and production of both electronically-stored information and hard copy documents;
7. Maintains files in a current and well-organized manner (both electronic and hard-copy);
8. Composes emails, letters and memoranda to outside counsel, internal clients and opposing counsel;
9. Tracks compliance with court deadlines and internal policies and procedures with respect to ongoing litigation matters;
10. Keeps informed of Bank policies, organization structure, and record-keeping practices;
11. Provides input regarding the Bank’s policies and procedures concerning collection and production of electronically stored information;
12. May assist with internal Legal Department testing and controls monitoring;
13. Keeps informed of trends in employment related claims, litigation involving financial institutions and developments in the law relevant to the defense of litigation;
14. Keeps informed of changes in eDiscovery rules and practices.
15. Keeps informed of and meets Bank compliance policy and training requirements.
16. Performs other duties and supports special projects as assigned.
Required Education or Equivalent Experience
· Associates’ degree (or equivalent);
· Paralegal certification;
· 5+ years as a litigation paralegal handling employment related demand letters, agency charges, claims and lawsuits; experience with law firm and/or large financial institution legal department strongly preferred; and
· General knowledge and experience relating to litigation, document preservation, collection and production, legal hold notices, and responding to discovery
Required Administrative/Technical Skills
· Excellent analytical and research skills
· Understanding of legal principles and terminology
· Thorough knowledge of legal research techniques, including online research. Effective use of Internet in locating regulations, statutes and case law, and model policies
· Strong oral and written communication skills
· Excellent planning and organizational skills
· Team player and self-starter
· High level of professionalism
· Attention to detail and accuracy
· Ability to work well with personnel and inspire confidence at all levels of the organization
· Adaptable and flexible work-style with a proven ability to handle competing demands and priorities
· Able to successfully navigate changing environments and perform in a fast-paced setting
· Work history indicates a demonstrated track record of performance
· Good computer skills; conversant with Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
· Able to learn new software systems for research and record-keeping
- No supervisory responsibility.
- Sedentary work; lifting a maximum of 10 pounds, frequent standing/walking
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They should not be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.