What sets Bank of the West apart from other banks is our team members–they embody the optimistic spirit of the West. There is a spirit here that drives us to do more. Our team of more than 10,000 employees is vital to the success of our Bank. They reflect our modern western values—straightforward, entrepreneurial and optimistic. We seek to create a corporate culture that fosters and rewards excellence, encourages creative thinking and respects diversity – an environment where team members are engaged, supportive of one another and enthusiastic about serving our customers. Bank of the West offers the stability of a company that has a 135 year history and is part of BNP Paribas, a European leader in global banking and financial services and one of the 6 strongest banks in the world. We offer opportunities across our diverse business lines – Retail Banking, Commercial Banking, National Finance, and Wealth Management.
Senior Operational Risk Analyst
Job Description Summary
Responsible for working with the Bank’s Operational Risk team members to implement enterprise-level standards, policies and governance within the BOTW Commercial Banking Group. Responsible for coordinating, planning, development and implementation of all activities and programs associated with operational risk management within a BOTW business unit.
Essential Job Functions
1. Operational Risk Department: Assigned responsibility for broad areas of the Bank's Corporate Operational Risk Management function, ensures assigned areas are well designed, looks for and implements continuous process improvement, is a subject matter expert in their areas, and able to communicate/educate others on the process.
2. Work with First Line of Defense to ensure proper execution of operational risk management activities
3. Escalates material issues to appropriate management levels for transparency and active risk management. As assigned within the corporate operational risk framework takes action to maximize effectiveness of Control Programs, such as Third Party, Information Security, Business Continuity, Records, Fraud, etc. as well as changes in management.
4. Undertakes transversal & vertical assessments (such as RCSAs or RCAs) of exposures, identifying risks, evaluating their potential impact and reviewing the strengths and weaknesses of existing controls. Tracks resolution of issues. Advises line-management on opportunities for improvements.
5. Participate in evaluating new products, changes to the channels through which products are offered, and technology impact assessments for their impacts on the bank's or LOB’s operational risk profile.
6. As needed, works with other risk functions to develop and implement controls that mitigate excessive risks.
7. Once the controls are in place, continues to monitor control compliance and the prevalent risk environment recommending incremental recommendations for improvement to ensure that exposures are kept at acceptable levels.
8. Perform Level 2 Control credible challenge to validate controls are in place and working as intended. At LOB/Support Function level confirms standards for controls functions (BCP, Loss Mitigation, Information Security, 3rd Party Service Providers, etc.) are implemented as required. Resolves with line management gaps or escalates operational risk matters.
9. Business Group Operational Risk Support Assigned specific LOB OR activities. Undertakes complex assessments of business unit exposures, identifying risks, analyzing and evaluating their potential impact and reviewing the strengths and weaknesses of the firm's existing controls. Requires collaboration and partnering within ORD and across business lines/support groups.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration) or the equivalent combination of education and experience - Required
· Required License(s) or Certifications - Preferred
· Requires practical knowledge in leading and managing the execution of processes, projects and tactics within one area. Typically has advanced knowledge and skills within a specific technical or professional discipline with understanding of the impact of work on other areas of the organization
· 7 or more year’s directly related or combined Operational Risk Management and Internal Audit experience within the financial services industry.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.