Job Description Summary
Responsible for providing quality and consistent underwriting for consumer direct loan applications and subordination requests of moderate to high complexity to ensure asset quality and profitability. Strives to achieve a balance of quality loan growth through sound credit practice, while maintaining service standards in a timely and professional manner. Provides high quality customer service including underwriting in a competitive timeframe. Serves as a consumer credit resource to the Retail Banking Group.
Essential Job Functions
- Ensures sound lending decisions on consumer direct loan applications in accordance with the Bank's Loan Policies or within defined lending limits.
- Maintains knowledge of all bank policies and compliance regulations as they relate to consumer direct Loan Officer's function.
- Conducts credit investigations and analyzes all available credit information pertaining to loan decisions.
- Ensures all information needed to appropriately make a loan decision is obtained. Analyzes and evaluates financial statements and related materials for repayment ability. Includes reviewing self-employed, corporate and partnership tax returns, profit and loss, as well as financial statement to determine borrower's income available for debt service.
- Analyzes applications outside of Loan Officer's lending limits and routes to appropriate loan personnel for concurrent loan decision.
- Provides assistance to create efficiencies and process flow improvements within the department.
- Underwrites larger dollar requests for home equity loan/line products. Communicates lending decisions to appropriate business unit.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Requires broad knowledge of operational systems and practices typically gained through extensive experience and/or education.
- Requires 5 years minimum experience.
- May require vocational or technical education in addition to prior work experience.
- High School Diploma or GED Required
- Thorough knowledge of consumer loan/line products, processing, servicing, and collections.
- Thorough knowledge of consumer lending laws and regulations, direct lending practices and applicable consumer lending laws, and banking regulations.
- Thorough knowledge of automated loan decision software preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of Consumer/Commercial loan income analysis.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.