Job Description Summary
Responsible for the sourcing, securing, developing, and retaining profitable banking relationships within the assigned region. Primary focus is on finding new business opportunities to sell the Bank's products and services and retaining and expanding existing relationships. Responsible for contributing to the assigned Region's credit portfolio quality and processing of requests for credit extension, ensuring credit facilities are properly structured, priced and documented. Maintains and grows current relationships by presenting new lending opportunities, cross selling, and other business to existing clients. Takes primary responsibility as the assigned officer for a portfolio of the most complex relationships including direct lending and agented syndicated facilities. May act in as a team leader for other Relationship Managers by providing guidance and work flow support. May have oversight for budget and P & L. This position is the most experienced level of Relationship Manager job family in addition to providing direction for strategies for soliciting and growing the portfolio. It is typically responsible for the largest and highly complex relationships as applicable to the line of business.
Essential Job Functions
- May exercise human resource responsibility for personnel managed including hiring, termination, performance review, salary recommendation, training, coaching and personnel issues. Act as a lead position with Relationship Managers joint calling, guiding business development activities and providing guidance on credit structuring and portfolio maintenance. Serves as primary contact with assigned prospective and current customers for all of the financial, banking, and investment counseling needs. Primary focus is on finding new business opportunities to sell the Bank's products and services. Conducts interviews with applicants to thoroughly understands current and prospective customer's needs and their financial situation to market and sell additional Bank products and services. Visits applicants at their place of business to verify and better assess their current situation and future needs.
- Identifies business needs and corresponding sales opportunities bank-wide and actively promotes ways to increase customer reliance on bank products and services, capitalizing on the unique and comprehensive capabilities of the bank. This would include Cash Management, Syndication, and the Capital Market Group.
- Obtains financial statements, tax returns, and other credit information and maintains individual credit files for all existing customers. Conducts analysis of pertinent credit information and/or credit checks.
- Manages existing portfolio and stays informed on their condition is aware of developing trends in the market which may impact credit quality. Prepares quarterly loan reports on existing portfolio.
- Represents the Bank as appropriate in its relationships with major customers, suppliers, competitors, government agencies, professional societies, civic and community groups. Ensures compliance with the Bank's CRA program.
- Works closely with underwriting teams for new credit requests and renewals ensuring that all relevant financial and non-financial information is available to the underwriter Works with loan administration in the review and negotiation of loan documents. Ensures a high standard of credit quality through the processes of credit approval and portfolio maintenance, controlling loan quality, delinquency percentages and loan losses.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Requires highest knowledge and mastery of multiple job areas typically obtained through advanced education combined with experience.
- Viewed as the leading expert and/or resource within the field by peers within and outside the organization.
- Bachelor's Degree Business or Finance
- High School Diploma or GED Required
- Solid understanding of underwriting and analysis for companies of all sizes and complexities.
- High degree of comfort and familiarity with use and application of commercial lending principles.
- Active understanding and ongoing use of Touchpoint and other enterprise level systems.
Asset Based Lending (ABL)
- In depth knowledge of A/R, inventory, and M&E and its respective nuances in any particular industry.
- In depth knowledge of financial analysis (historical and projections) including the ability to perform sensitized models for covenant setting comparing cash drivers and how it relates to excess availability.
- Has a working knowledge of different nuances of bankruptcy including 7 and 11.
- Understand the concept of "cradle to grave" being an expert in underwriting a loan to being able to negotiate a forbearance during a workout.
- Builds great working relations with different vendors such as appraisers as well as with referral sources such as PR firms and CPAs.
- Has an in depth knowledge of different how an ABL software program can be used to monitor credit.
- Has in depth knowledge of initial due diligence process such as knowing how to review lien searches and background searches.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.