Compliance Manager, Human Resources
United States-California-San Ramon
What sets Bank of the West apart from other banks are our team members–they embody the optimistic spirit of the West. There is a spirit here that drives us to do more. Our team of more than 10,000 employees is vital to the success of our Bank. They reflect our modern western values—straightforward, entrepreneurial and optimistic. We seek to create a corporate culture that fosters and rewards excellence, encourages creative thinking and respects diversity – an environment where team members are engaged, supportive of one another and enthusiastic about serving our customers. Bank of the West offers the stability of a company that has a 135 year history and is part of BNP Paribas, a European leader in global banking and financial services and one of the 6 strongest banks in the world. We offer opportunities across the enterprise as well as across our diverse business lines – Retail Banking, Commercial Banking, National Finance, Wealth Management and Banking Services.
Bank of the West has an exciting role on our Compliance Team that will be responsible for managing the development and execution of the compliance program supporting Human Resources; that includes the functional areas of HR Administration, Learning and Development, Compensation and Benefits, HR Service Delivery, Talent Management and Recruiting, and the HR Diversity Office. Manages the review, interpretation, and application of new and pending laws and regulations, which potentially affect the business practices for Human Resources.
- Provides a leadership role in implementing policies, standards and procedures specific to the needs of the assigned business group and aligned with the Bank’s Corporate Compliance program.
- Analyzes various processes and products, existing or new, by addressing required processes under the Compliance program framework. The responsibility encompasses assessment of all risks for new or enhanced Human Resources activities.
- Works with management and staff in areas of the organization affected by alterations in business practices or regulation/laws to ensure understanding and implementation of new policies and procedures. This includes staying current with emerging trends, standards, risks and violations, writing summaries, assisting with gap analysis, advising on enhancements to the control framework and implementing changes to the programs as necessary. Pertains to all applicable regulations.
- Collaborates with other Bank business groups, Legal, etc. to study and investigate issues and identify and implement solutions.
- Develops/amends written policies and procedures related to products and processes including development and publication of business group procedures and ensuring revisions are in compliance with applicable regulations.
- Oversees development and structure of business group quality assurance programs. Manages business group compliance monitoring, oversees business group compliance quality control processes, and assists in defining the periodic compliance testing program for the business group.
- Assists with preparation for audit and regulatory examinations, addresses findings/recommendations, and ensures proper and timely resolution by the business group.
- Reviews process modifications initiated by other departments or functional areas.
- Helps develop business group compliance training programs and may deliver specialized training as required
- Participates in compliance projects.
- Assists with providing metrics and materials for various Risk and Compliance committees; prepares and reviews materials for accuracy.
- May supervise staff
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- May require minimal travel.
Required Education or Equivalent Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, Legal or related field required
- Master’s/Advanced Degree in Human Resources , Business Administration, Legal or related field preferred
- SPHR, PHR, or CRCM preferred
- Years of functional/professional experience: 8+ yrs. combined Compliance/Audit/Risk/Human Resources management experience
- Years of supervisory or managerial experience: 2+ yrs. managerial/supervisory experience
- Alternative: Equivalent combination of training and experience.
Field of Experience
- Strong knowledge of laws, regulations, and industry best practices related to Human Resources
Compliance Program development and implementation
- Ability to read and interpret regulatory statutes
- Excellent business writing skills essential
- Ability to identify compliance risks related to assigned functional areas and competently and clearly advise on applicable regulatory compliance matters
- Strong research, analysis, problem-solving, decision-making, communication, and relationship management skills
- Organizational and project management capabilities
- Process design and improvement experience
- Strong reporting and presentation skills (e.g., MS Office Suite)