CBG Credit Products Officer II - Finl Counterparty Risk
United States-California-Los Angeles
Sales and Sales Related
What sets Bank of the West apart from other banks is our team members–they embody the optimistic spirit of the West. There is a spirit here that drives us to do more. Our team of more than 10,000 employees is vital to the success of our Bank. They reflect our modern western values-straightforward, entrepreneurial and optimistic. We seek to create a corporate culture that fosters and rewards excellence, encourages creative thinking and respects diversity – an environment where team members are engaged, supportive of one another and enthusiastic about serving our customers. Bank of the West offers the stability of a company that has a 135 year history and is part of BNP Paribas, a European leader in global banking and financial services and one of the 6 strongest banks in the world. We offer opportunities across our diverse business lines – Retail Banking, Commercial Banking, National Finance, and Wealth Management.
Responsible for contributing to credit portfolio quality and processing of requests for credit extension with extensive focus on credit relationship portfolio management and credit underwriting activities with the relationship management team. Analyzes, underwrites and recommends decisions on credit requests generated by relationship managers from commercial companies. Monitors, tracks and manages the credit portfolio with the goal of minimizing credit losses and maintaining compliance with credit review policy while keeping the office manager current on any credit issues that require attention. As a seasoned lender, takes primary responsibility for managing the credit needs of a portfolio of 15 or more commercial banking relationships.
Essential Job Functions
- Supports the Bank’s growth and profitability through effective underwriting and proactive portfolio management.
- Responsible for underwriting banks, broker-dealers, insurance companies and asset managers.
- Responsible for ensuring that credit facilities are properly structured, priced and documented.
- Works closely with Treasury and Capital Markets by managing the counterparty risk that results from the purchase and sell of securities and other financial instruments.
- Works closely with Global Trade Solutions and other business units by managing the counterparty risk that results from letters of credit, trade related products and working capital solutions.
- Works with other areas in the Bank (e.g., Syndications, Wealth Management, Equipment Finance) to manage the associated risk on financial institutions that stems from their respective activities.
- Responsible for obtaining credit approvals from delegated lending authorities, which requires effective written and verbal communication of complex concepts and credits.
- Develops innovative credit solutions to meet customer/business credit needs.
- Ensures quality control and risk management of relationships managed. Identifies, classifies, and monitors problems or potential problem credits in compliance with the internal credit review policy. Tracks and monitors receipt of financial reporting and covenant compliance certificates. Attempts to collect on accounts that are delinquent including negotiating payment schedules, obtaining proper pre-approval if required.
- Interacts with Credit Administration, Appraisal, Legal, and other related Bank personnel regarding issues of credit quality, appropriate compensation for risk, as well as new business and related trends.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Education or Equivalent Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance required
- Master’s/Advanced Degree in Finance preferred
- Ten or more years of directly related experience
Administrative/Technical Skills/ Other Information
- Thorough knowledge of commercial lending policies, procedures, practices and documentation including accounting, financial statement and cash flow analysis
- Thorough knowledge of financial services used by commercial customers
- Very strong writing and editing skills
- Demonstrated experience in financial projection modeling
- Demonstrated experience in portfolio management and quality control
- Geographic market knowledge preferable
- May require knowledge of specific industry
National Banking Division
- Generally targets companies with sales of $25 million or higher.
- No formal supervisory duties. However, may lead associates, credit analysts and/or support staff
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.