BSA Operations Adherence Specialist
What sets Bank of the West apart from other banks is our team members–they embody the optimistic spirit of the West. There is a spirit here that drives us to do more. Our team of more than 10,000 employees is vital to the success of our Bank. They reflect our modern western values—straightforward, entrepreneurial and optimistic. We seek to create a corporate culture that fosters and rewards excellence, encourages creative thinking and respects diversity – an environment where team members are engaged, supportive of one another and enthusiastic about serving our customers. Bank of the West offers the stability of a company that has a 135 year history and is part of BNP Paribas, a European leader in global banking and financial services and one of the 6 strongest banks in the world. We offer opportunities across our diverse business lines – Retail Banking, Commercial Banking, National Finance, and Wealth Management.
Delivers subject matter expertise inspecting investigations of complex suspicious activity cases, and / or delivers subject matter expertise inspecting Customer Due Diligence (“CDD”) and Enhanced Due Diligence (“EDD”) work product. Responsible for reviewing the preparation of and filing Suspicious Activity Reports (“SAR”) on behalf of the Bank by ensuring work product reflects sound judgment and strong adherence to the procedures associated with producing and filing SARs. Conducts timely inspection activities to verify that all regulatory requirements and/or Bank policies and procedures are being met, together with completion of CDD/EDD. The Operations Inspection Specialist is also responsible for helping the manager to coach and mentor staff utilizing strong subject matter expertise and problem solving/analytic skills
1. Inspects the investigation, analysis and documentation of alerts and/or complex cases pertaining to cash structuring, transactions involving bank designated high risk countries (HRC), wire transfers, commercial loan payments, and reports from branches or business areas regarding guidelines and timeframes; and/or inspects the performance and documentation of customer due diligence (CDD) and enhanced due diligence (EDD) reviews.
2. Assist team managers in coaching and mentoring the staff as well as providing subject matter expertise and guidance to team regarding quality key performance indicators in BSA and CDD/EDD work products.
3. Inspects Suspicious Activity Reports (SARs) for submission to FinCEN and other appropriate law enforcement or regulatory agencies which may include 314b analysis and review as well as fulfillment of law enforcement requests.
4. Compiles data, and maintains records and files necessary to assure efficient and consistent reporting of inspections of BSA Operations work product.
5. Ability to interpret technical procedures, government regulations, and complex and sophisticated business documents such as financial statements, invoices, trade finance documentation, and letters of credit.
6. Ability to prepare and/or oversee the preparation of MIS reporting for management.
7. Ability to identify (and make judgment of) areas of significant risk and/or systemic issues and make process improvement recommendations to senior management.
8. Ability to develop and maintain policies and procedures for department productions processes and/or department functions.
9. Ability to coach and provide guidance and support to staff/peers.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
High School Diploma or GED required
Associate’s, Bachelor’s, Master’s/Advanced Degree preferred
Preferred license(s) or certification(s)
CAMS, CFCS, CFE, or other industry-recognized certification
Field of Experience
Required: 10+ years total financial services related work experience and 5+ years with BSA/AML, CDD or EDD, and / or conducting and managing financial investigations and/or research such as bank operations, corporate security, compliance, and legal areas including criminal and/or civil litigation, researching, comprehensive reporting and documentation, and pattern recognition.
Preferred: 7+ years’ experience investigating complex financial crimes and/or BSA violations in a financial institution and/or law enforcement agency.
• Strong knowledge of AML processes, communication of, and adherence to, the procedures of AML compliance functions knowledge is critical to both conducting SAR determinations and / or conducting CDD reviews.
• Thorough knowledge of investigative techniques including transaction analysis, evidence gathering and demonstrated research and/or pattern recognition skills
• Detailed analytical and research skills including use of online research tools and report writing
• Ability to work independently and display initiative
• Detailed planning and organizing skills
• Ability to follow specific goals and meet required deadlines
• Meaningful AML investigations experience; quality and depth of experience is more important than number of years of experience
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.