BSA/AML Investigator - HRCU
United States-California-San Ramon
Bank Secrecy Act / Anti Money Laundering
What sets Bank of the West apart from other banks is our team members–they embody the optimistic spirit of the West. There is a spirit here that drives us to do more. Our team of more than 10,000 employees is vital to the success of our Bank. They reflect our modern western values—straightforward, entrepreneurial and optimistic. We seek to create a corporate culture that fosters and rewards excellence, encourages creative thinking and respects diversity – an environment where team members are engaged, supportive of one another and enthusiastic about serving our customers. Bank of the West offers the stability of a company that has a 135 year history and is part of BNP Paribas, a European leader in global banking and financial services and one of the 6 strongest banks in the world. We offer opportunities across our diverse business lines – Retail Banking, Commercial Banking, National Finance, and Wealth Management.
Delivers subject matter expertise in investigating complex suspicious activity cases, and / or delivers subject matter expertise for the Customer Due Diligence (“CDD”) and Enhanced Due Diligence (“EDD”) reviews for the purposes of identifying clients that pose greater than normal anti-money laundering risk to the Bank, as well as conducting periodic and ad-hoc EDD reviews for the Bank. Responsible for preparing and filing Suspicious Activity Reports (“SAR”) on behalf of the Bank by providing sound judgment and strong adherence to the procedures associated with producing and filing SARs. Conducts timely investigations and reviewing investigative work of others to verify that all regulatory requirements and/or Bank policies and procedures are being met, together with completion of CDD/EDD, and conducting Quality Assurance (“QA”) activities. The Investigator / EDD Specialist III is also responsible for helping the manager to coach and mentor staff utilizing strong subject matter expertise and problem solving/analytic skills
1. Investigates, analyzes and documents alerts and/or complex cases pertaining to cash structuring, transactions involving bank designated high risk countries (HRC), wire transfers, commercial loan payments, and reports from branches or business areas regarding guidelines and timeframes; and/or performs and documents customer due diligence (CDD) and enhanced due diligence (EDD) reviews. Focuses on customer behavior as it relates to anti money laundering (AML)-related suspicious activities and complex cases such as multiple relationship accounts, tiered and multi-faceted transactions, international wires involving bank designated high risk jurisdictions, and complex cash structuring schemes. This role also assists the manager in coaching and mentoring the staff as well as providing subject matter expertise and guidance to team regarding BSA/AML and CDD/EDD.
2. Reviews and prepares Suspicious Activity Reports (SARs) for submission to FinCEN and other appropriate law enforcement or regulatory agencies which may include 314b analysis and review as well as fulfillment of law enforcement requests.
3. Compiles data, and maintains records and files necessary to assure efficient and consistent reporting of investigations and CDD/EDD programs.
4. Responsible for final determination of retaining and/or closing customer relationships, and manages the closure process and closure verification follow up.
5. Assists manager to monitor the investigation case inventory to ensure timelines are being met; ensure that classifications are determined and applied and/or that reporting and/or documentation requirements set by BSA regulations and/or unit policy, are upheld, and / or that the high risk customer list is being managed; and / or that CDD and EDD reviews are being tracked and distributed.
6. Ability to interpret technical procedures, government regulations, and complex and sophisticated business documents such as financial statements, invoices, trade finance documentation, and letters of credit.
7. Ability to prepare and/or oversee the preparation of MIS reporting for management.
8. Ability to identify (and make judgment of) areas of significant risk and/or systemic issues and make process improvement recommendations to senior management.
9. Ability to develop and maintain policies and procedures for department productions processes and/or department functions.
10. Ability to coach and provide guidance and support to staff/peers.
11. Performs other duties as assigned.
High School Diploma or GED required
Associate’s Degree preferred
Bachelor’s Degree preferred
Master’s/Advanced Degree preferred
Required license(s) or certification(s) CFE, ACAMS or other recognized certification-preferred
Field of Experience
3+ years with BSA/AML, CDD or EDD, and / or conducting and managing financial investigations and/or research such as in bank operations, security, compliance, and legal areas including criminal and/or civil litigation, researching, comprehensive reporting &documentation, and pattern recognition.
4-6 years’ experience investigating complex financial crimes and/or BSA/AML violations in a financial institution and/or law enforcement agency.
• Strong knowledge of AML processes, communication of, and adherence to, the procedures of AML compliance functions knowledge is critical to both conducting SAR determinations and / or conducting CDD reviews.
• Thorough knowledge of investigative techniques including transaction analysis, evidence gathering and demonstrated research and/or pattern recognition skills
• Detailed analytical and research skills including use of online research tools and report writing
• Ability to work independently and display initiative
• Detailed planning and organizing skills
• Ability to follow specific goals and meet required deadlines
• Meaningful AML investigations experience; quality and depth of experience is more important than number of years of experience
Bank of the West is an Equal Opportunity employer and proud to provide equal employment opportunity to all job seekers without regard to any status protected by applicable law. Bank of the West is also an Affirmative Action employer - Minority / Female / Disabled / Veteran.
Bank of the West will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance subject to the requirements of all state and federal laws and regulations.